A company operating a restaurant, together with a director of that company, were recently fined at Cannock Magistrates’ Court for a number of food hygiene breaches.
Amandeep Murria of Kangs Solicitors comments.
The Circumstances | Kangs Food Hygiene Offences Defence Solicitors
Food Safety Inspectors discovered that:
- staff were using dirty cloths to clean down surfaces thereby posing a significant health risk,
- hygiene within the kitchen area was extremely poor with floors and walls in a greasy state and in need of a thorough clean,
- wash basins were difficult to access and it was clear there was an issue with the running of hot water from the taps,
Environmental Health Officers had given the director a number of opportunities to rectify the problems but he had failed to carry out the much needed remedial work.
The Court Proceedings | Kangs Food Safety & Hygiene Defence Solicitors
At the Hearing, the company and the director were found guilty of seven food hygiene offences and the Court imposed the following penalties:
- The company was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £2,220 in costs
- The director was fined £500 and ordered to pay £2219 in costs
- Surcharges of £220 were also imposed
After the hearing, Councilor Christine Martin, was quoted to have said:
“Most of our restaurants are well run with good hygiene standards.”
“Those who have a history of poor hygiene and refuse to act on the advice of our officers cannot be allowed to trade without consequence. I would urge any food business that might be in difficulty to speak to our officers who will continue to offer free help and advice.”
How Can We Help? | Kangs Environmental Health Solicitors
Kangs Solicitors has a wealth of knowledge and experience in dealing with all matters of environmental health and food hygiene law.
As is clear from the case above, the Courts are not afraid to impose large fines in recognition of the serious threat to public health that unhygienic and unsafe operations pose.
Our Experience | Food safety Solicitors
- Delighted Client | Prosecution Avoided | Kangs Food Safety & Hygiene Solicitors
- Successful Result | Kangs National Food Safety & Hygiene Solicitors
- Food Hygiene Score Ratings | Kangs Regulatory Solicitors
Who Can I Contact For Help? | Kangs National Criminal Defence Solicitors
Please feel free to contact our team through any of our solicitors named below who will be happy to provide you with some initial advice and assistance.