“Kangs has an excellent reputation. They care about their clients and go the extra mile for them”

Chambers & Partners

Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'

British Citizenship Solicitors

Aquiring British Citizenship

British citizenship can be achieved through registration or naturalisation.


Many people are eligible to register for British citizenship with the process varying according to the category into which an applicant falls.

The various categories are:

British Nationality

  • British Overseas Territories citizen
  • British Overseas citizen
  • British Protected Person
  • British Subject.

British Mother and born before 1983 and:

  • would have become a citizen of the UK and Colonies by descent if women had been able to pass citizenship onto their children in the same way as men
  • would have had the right of abode in the UK and have become a British citizen on January 1, 1983, having become a citizen of the UK and Colonies
  • is of good character.

Born in the UK on or after January 1983 and:

  • is over the age of 10 and
  • has spent no more than 90 days outside of the UK in each of the first 10 years of life.

Born in the UK after 1983 and:

  • is under the age of 18 and
  • one parent must have settled in the UK or become a citizen after the date of birth.

Residents of Gibraltar and Hong Kong, subject to varying requirements.

Have Previously Renounced Citizenship and wish to reclaim it, subject to varying requirements.

Latest News

EEA Residence Card Or Pre Settled Status? | Immigration Solicitors

EU Citizens who plan to live, work, or study in the UK are able to apply under the EEA Regulations 2016 or the EU Settlement Scheme in order to protect their rights throughout the transition period until 30th June 2021. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the...

Human Rights | Fee Waiver Policy | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Whilst the level of fees payable upon immigration applications continues to increase, there are opportunities in various instances where a waiver may be available. Sharan Rupra of Kangs Solicitors comments upon the situation. Potential Fees | Kangs Immigration...

Deportation | Successful Outcome | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Kangs Solicitors has successfully assisted a client, who was a serving prisoner, achieve his desired deportation under the Early Removal Scheme (‘ERS’) back to his home country, being France, despite initial difficulties encountered with the Home Office. Cagin Husnu...

Proposed Changes To Immigration Rules | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

The Government has indicated that it intends to simplify the existing complicated and complex Immigration Rules. Sharan Rupra of Kangs Solicitors comments. The Present Situation | Kangs Immigration Legislation Advisory Team The Immigration Rules HC395, which were...

Registration Certificate Applications | Kangs Solicitors

A national of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA), or of Switzerland, has an automatic right to live, work and study in the UK. Whilst there is no legal requirement for an EEA national to obtain a Registration Certificate, possession of one assists as...


Whilst there are various categories of British Nationality, it is only British Citizenship that provides the right to live and work in the UK without a visa.

To become a naturalised citizen of the UK, the standard eligibility and residential requirements must be met.

Nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland automatically receive UK permanent resident status having lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period through the EEA free-movement rights. Thereafter leave to remain will be granted and citizenship may be applied for subject to the following requirements being met.

A different set of requirements applies for those who are married to or are the civil partner of a British citizen as set out below.

Standard Eligibility Requirements

An applicant must:

  • be over 18 years of age;
  • be of sound mind;
  • intend to continue living in the UK, or to continue in Crown service, the service of an international organisation of which the UK is a member, or the service of a company or association established in the UK;
  • have sufficient proficiency in the English, Welsh, or Scottish Gaelic language;
  • have sufficient knowledge of life in the UK;
  • be of good character; and
  • meet the residential requirements or
  • be married to someone or has a civil partner in the Crown or designated service outside of the UK.

Residency Requirements

The applicant will need to show that he/she:

  • was in the UK on the date five years prior to the date of the application;
  • has not been absent for more than 450 days in that period;
  • has not been absent for more than 90 days during the last 12 months of that period;
  • has held indefinite leave to remain in the UK for the last 12 months (for EEA nationals and their dependants only, completing a qualifying residence period in the UK in exercise of Treaty rights).
  • has not been in breach of immigration laws in the last 5 years;
  • is of good character; and
  • intends to make the UK either home or principal home.

How Can We Help?

As the Home Office fee for each application is substantial, it is essential that you obtain professional help and guidance from the outset and throughout the process in order to give your application the best chance of success, thereby avoiding the risk of wasted fees.

If you do not meet all the requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981, the UK Border Agency may, in certain circumstances, exercise its discretion and grant your naturalisation application anyway and we can assist you with making a case to the Home Office to exercise its discretion in your favour.

We can advise on all aspects of British Citizenship including:

  • whether you are or your child is automatically a British Citizen or entitled to register as one.
  • whether you or your child can naturalise or register as British Citizens.
  • how to obtain British Citizenship or how to prove you are already British.
  • the circumstances in which the UK Border Agency could exercise its discretion to grant you citizenship.

We are happy to represent you throughout any application process.

Kangs Solicitors has an established specialised Immigration Department, able to assist in all aspects of asylum and immigration at all stages from application preparation to representation at Tribunal and any subsequent Appeal Hearings.

We provide comprehensive legal advice, ensuring your application meets the legal requirements.

We collate your evidence and prepare detailed submissions to the Home Office. Where required, we will also undertake ongoing liaison with the Home Office.


Mrs Sharan Rupra
07989 521 210 | 0121 449 9888 | 020 7936 6396


2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ

0121 449 9888


9 Carmelite Street, City of London
London, EC4Y 0DR

020 7936 6396


Pall Mall Court 61-67 King Street
Manchester, M2 4PD

0121 449 9888