“Kangs has an excellent reputation. They care about their clients and go the extra mile for them”

Chambers & Partners

Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'

European Economic Area (EEA) Family Permit - Derivative Rights of Residence


Children may be supported throughout their education within the EEA by the exercise of a ‘derivative right of residence’.

An EEA Family Permit can be applied for by anyone with a ‘derivative right of residence’ as the:

  • primary carer of an EEA child in the UK who is financially independent
  • a child of an EEA former worker and your currently in education in the UK
  • primary carer of a child of an EEA former worker and the child is currently in education in the UK
  • primary carer of a British child
  • primary carer of a British dependant adult
  • a child of a primary carer who qualifies through one of these categories.

A primary carer is one who has the responsibility of the day to day care of the of the EEA or British child or dependant adult, making decisions about their education, health and finances and is a family member, or legal guardian, including:

  • parent
  • grandparent
  • spouse or civil partner
  • children
  • grandchildren

Derivative Residence Card – Family Permit

  • An applicant for a Derivative Residence Card needs to be already living in the UK
  • Anyone living outside of the UK will need to apply for an EEA Family Permit
  • A Derivative Residence Card application can only be made from within the UK, for as long as the person being cared for continues to reside in the UK.

How Can We Help?

The rules and regulations governing all immigration matters are detailed and complex and it is essential that expert guidance is sought to ensure that accurate applications are submitted which are suitable for proper consideration by the authorities and to avoid the waste of substantial fees in the case of rejected applications.

Kangs Solicitors maintains an established team which assists clients with all aspects of asylum and immigration issues at all stages from Application preparation to Tribunal representation and any subsequent Appeal Hearings.

Who Can I Contact For Help?

Please feel free to contact our Immigration Team through either of the following who will be happy to speak to you and guide you:

Latest News

Possible Immigration Amnesty | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Recently there have been talks about the granting of amnesty to illegal immigrants resident in the UK with the intent to legalise their status. Sharan Rupra, immigration law specialist at Kangs Solicitors comments upon amnesties generally.  Previous Amnesties | Kangs...

Some Post Brexit Considerations | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Sharan Rupra, Immigration Law specialist at Kangs Solicitors, comments upon the immediate position following BREXIT on 31st January 2020.  General The terms of the future relationship between the UK and EU following the transition period which is scheduled to end on...


2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ

0121 449 9888


9 Carmelite Street, City of London
London, EC4Y 0DR

020 7936 6396


76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH

0161 817 5020