“Kangs has an excellent reputation. They care about their clients and go the extra mile for them”

Chambers & Partners

Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'

European Economic Area (EEA) Family Permit

Availability and Effect

Any person from outside the EEA who is a family member or an extended family member of an EEA citizen or a Swiss national coming to the UK or already in the UK exercising treaty rights may apply for a family permit.

The EEA family permit acts as a visa granting permission to enter and/or remain in the UK and without which entry to the UK can be refused.

The family permit is only valid for an initial period of six months but, having arrived in the UK, it is possible to apply for an EU Residence Card which confirms the holder’s right of residence in the UK and is valid for five years.

Family Members

Those who fall into this category are:

  • spouse/civil partner
  • children or grandchildren under twenty one years of age
  • dependant parent/grandparent
  • family members who are adopted under an adoption order recognised under the UK law and are regarded as natural family

Extended Family Members

This category includes any:

  • brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece able to show that they are dependant upon the EEA citizen national, are a member of their household or have serious health conditions and rely on then for care. 
  • unmarried partner who can show a durable relationship and is living with the EEA national.


  • The EEA citizen/qualified person is travelling to or joining the applicant in the UK.
  • The EEA citizen must be exercising their treaty rights by working, actively seeking employment, studying or being able to financially support themselves and their family members.

Alternative Route To A Family Permit

A family permit may also be obtained where the applicant:

  • is entitled to a Derivative Right of Residence as the carer of someone who has the right to be in the UK, the carer’s child or the child of an EEA national who previously worked in the UK. 
  • enjoys Retained Right of Residence, having the right to stay in the UK as the family member of an EEA national who has died, left the UK or is no longer the spouse or civil partner of the applicant.
  • is entitled to make a ‘Surinder Singh’ application having lived in another EEA country with a UK family member.

How Can We Help?

The rules and regulations governing all immigration matters are detailed and complex and it is essential that expert guidance is sought to ensure that accurate applications are submitted which are suitable for proper consideration by the authorities and to avoid the waste of substantial fees in the case of rejected applications.

Kangs Solicitors maintains an established team which assists clients with all aspects of asylum and immigration issues at all stages from Application preparation to Tribunal representation and any subsequent Appeal Hearings.

Who Can I Contact For Help?

Please feel free to contact our Immigration Team through either of the following who will be happy to speak to you and guide you.

Languages spoken: English, Turkish, Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi.

Latest News

Possible Immigration Amnesty | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Recently there have been talks about the granting of amnesty to illegal immigrants resident in the UK with the intent to legalise their status. Sharan Rupra, immigration law specialist at Kangs Solicitors comments upon amnesties generally.  Previous Amnesties | Kangs...

Some Post Brexit Considerations | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Sharan Rupra, Immigration Law specialist at Kangs Solicitors, comments upon the immediate position following BREXIT on 31st January 2020.  General The terms of the future relationship between the UK and EU following the transition period which is scheduled to end on...


2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ

0121 449 9888


9 Carmelite Street, City of London
London, EC4Y 0DR

020 7936 6396


76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH

0161 817 5020