Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'
Tier 4 (General) Student Extension Visa Solicitor
The UK is home to many universities, colleges and schools and the UK Government welcomes foreign students who wish to study in the UK.
Those who have gained entry clearance and are currently residing in the UK for study purposes, will be required to extend their visa if the current one does not cover the length of the course or if a new course of study may be commenced.
On 6th April 2016 changes to the Immigration Rules affect Tier 4 students currently studying in the UK whereby a new application can only be submitted from within the UK if the Home Office ‘Academic Progression Requirements’ are satisfied namely:
- the applicant has successfully completed, and been awarded, the qualification they have been studying for when the Tier 4 Visa was granted AND
- the gap between the end date of the current visa and the start date of the new course of study is less than twenty eight days OR
- the applicant is a PHD student needing additional time to complete their course
If these criteria are not met, and additional time is needed to complete the course, a student will have to leave the UK and submit a new application from their Home Country.
There are time limits for studying in the UK under a Tier 4 General student visa:
- Foundation course – two years.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees – five years.
- Some courses are exempt from the limit including, architecture, medicine, dentistry, medicine and science, conversion or professional law courses following a degree in the UK, or music at a Conservatoire.
Failure to apply before expiration of a current visa will result in a student becoming an overstayer, applications made from within the UK after fourteen days will result in an automatic refusal with the possibility of being barred from entering the UK for at least twelve months.
Recently there have been talks about the granting of amnesty to illegal immigrants resident in the UK with the intent to legalise their status. Sharan Rupra, immigration law specialist at Kangs Solicitors comments upon amnesties generally. Previous Amnesties | Kangs...
Sharan Rupra, Immigration Law specialist at Kangs Solicitors, comments upon the immediate position following BREXIT on 31st January 2020. General The terms of the future relationship between the UK and EU following the transition period which is scheduled to end on...
Many children born in, or who have been living in the United Kingdom for ten years, are entitled to be registered as British Citizens. Such registration involves the payment of an application fee which currently amounts to the sum of £1,012. Sharan Rupra of...
Kangs Solicitors has successfully assisted a male client, a Pakistani national who had been a victim of domestic abuse, in his application for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. Sharan Rupra of Kangs Solicitors comments upon this successful application. The...
The Government has announced proposals for the resurrection of the Post Study Work Visa (‘PSWV’) which, originally introduced in 2004, was removed in 2012. Sharan Rupra of Kangs Solicitors outlines the proposals. The Intentions | Kangs Immigration Solicitors As...
Requirements For Student Extension
Under a new points based system to extend a Tier 4 (General) visa, it will be necessary to obtain forty points apportioned as to:
1. Thirty for Confirmation of Acceptance Studies (‘CAS’) and
2. Ten points for course fees and living costs.
- a new CAS will be required from a University approved by UK Visas & Immigration recognised as Highly Trusted Status. Students will need to show they have appropriate English Language Skills.
- undertaking a course that is subject to an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (‘ATAS’) will require a new ATAS Certificate before a CAS can be issued. An ATAS certificate is usually issued for courses that lead to a qualification at Master’s, Doctorate or Postgraduate levels.
- proof of adequate funding to the required criteria.
- provision of professional translations of documents which are not in English
- production of all required original Certificates of Academic qualifications
- possession of a current valid passport
- production of any other passport or Visa previously granted
- production of Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
- provision of two passport size photographs
- attendance for a Tuberculosis Test if required
- payment of the Immigration Health Surcharge of £150.00 by those from outside the EU coming to live in the UK for over six months and which grants access to the National Health Service.
Making An Application
There are three available procedures:
- Standard Service – postal applications, this could take from 8/12 weeks to reach a decision
- Super Premium Service – subject to an extra payment
- Premium Service– in person at the Home Office
Passports have to be surrendered for the duration of an application and, accordingly, foreign travel will not be possible throughout that period.
A BRP will be issued to a successful applicant.
How Can We Help?
With the rising cost of the fees payable upon application, it is imperative that expert professional advice is sought before submitting any application to ensure that it is correctly prepared to avoid the forfeiture of fees which may arise due to error.
All applications must be made on the correct forms, which are very detailed, and accompanied by full supporting documentation.
Failure to submit a correct application could result in a Notice of Refusal being issued and the resultant serious consequences.
At Kangs Solicitors we have an experienced team of immigration solicitors who advise and assist clients with immigration status issues in the UK on a daily basis.
We have a proven track record of successfully advising and guiding clients through the immigration application and appeals process.
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
9 Carmelite Street, City of London
London, EC4Y 0DR
020 7936 6396
76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH