Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'
Tourist Visitor Visas Solicitor
What is a Tourist Visitor Visa?
It is possible to visit the UK without having family or friends living here.
In order to make such a visit, it is necessary to obtain a Standard Visitor visa for tourism purposes and this is the most popular single route for individuals coming to the UK for the purposes of family visits, tourism and business.
Who is a Visitor?
‘A visitor is a person who is coming to the UK, usually for up to six months, for a temporary purpose, for example as a tourist, to visit friends or family or to carry out a business activity’.
The Current Rules
On 24th April 2015 new rules were introduced by a Statement of Change to the Immigration Rules HC 1025 under Appendix V: Immigration Rules for Visitors, and which provides the definition quoted above.
There are now four categories of visitor:
- Visit (standard – which we will detail on this page)
- Marriage/civil partnership visit
- Permitted Paid Engagements &
- Transit visit.
Partial Effects of the Changes
The Standard Visitor visa has replaced the following visas:
- Family Visitor Visa
- General Visitor Visa
- Child Visitor Visa
- Business Visitor Visa*
- Sports Visitor Visa
- Entertainer Visitor Visa
- Prospective Entrepreneur Visa
- Private Medical treatment Visitor Visa
*Business related activities may include:
- Entry to UK in order to attend a conference, meeting or training
- Participation in a specific sporting event
- Artists, entertainers or musicians entering the UK to perform
- Academics carrying out research or accompanying students on a study programme
- Doctors or dentists visiting the UK to take a clinical attachment, wishing to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board test or sit the Objective Structure Clinical Examination.
- Business establishment activities in the UK
However, the requirements for each category vary depending on the reason for you visit to the United Kingdom.
Tourist Visa Requirements
To be successful, the applicant must show, by providing the necessary documentary evidence, ties to their home country, such as employment, home, or family, that they are a genuine visitor and that they:
- only intend to visit the UK for a short period – no more than six months
- genuinely seek entrance for the purpose stated
- will leave the UK at the end of their visit
- must have sufficient funds to maintain and accommodate themselves
- can meet the cost of the return or onward journey
Activities not permitted on a Tourist Visitors Visa
The following activities are prohibited:
- taking up paid or unpaid employment in the UK
- providing or receiving services which create a charge to the public
- marry or register a civil partnership in the UK
- receiving private medical treatment
Grant of Visa
A visa entitles the holder:
- to visit the UK for a maximum of six months for the purpose declared
- multiple entries during the six months period.
If the permitted period is exceeded, the visitor will become an ‘overstayer’ and will adversely impact upon any future immigration applications to the UK.
Refusal of Application
Only applicants intending to visit close family members are able to appeal against a refusal decision.
How Can We Help?
At Kangs Solicitors we have an experienced team of immigration lawyers who regularly advise and assist clients with immigration status issues in the UK.
We have a proven track record of successfully advising and guiding clients through the immigration application and appeals process.
Recently there have been talks about the granting of amnesty to illegal immigrants resident in the UK with the intent to legalise their status. Sharan Rupra, immigration law specialist at Kangs Solicitors comments upon amnesties generally. Previous Amnesties | Kangs...
Sharan Rupra, Immigration Law specialist at Kangs Solicitors, comments upon the immediate position following BREXIT on 31st January 2020. General The terms of the future relationship between the UK and EU following the transition period which is scheduled to end on...
Many children born in, or who have been living in the United Kingdom for ten years, are entitled to be registered as British Citizens. Such registration involves the payment of an application fee which currently amounts to the sum of £1,012. Sharan Rupra of...
Kangs Solicitors has successfully assisted a male client, a Pakistani national who had been a victim of domestic abuse, in his application for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK. Sharan Rupra of Kangs Solicitors comments upon this successful application. The...
The Government has announced proposals for the resurrection of the Post Study Work Visa (‘PSWV’) which, originally introduced in 2004, was removed in 2012. Sharan Rupra of Kangs Solicitors outlines the proposals. The Intentions | Kangs Immigration Solicitors As...
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
9 Carmelite Street, City of London
London, EC4Y 0DR
020 7936 6396
76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH