Anyone currently in the UK by virtue of a Spouse Visa, must apply for an extension before its expiration.
It is advisable to apply for the extension prior to expiry of the current visa.
A person seeking to remain in the UK as a spouse must satisfy the requirements of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules.
What Are The Requirements?
The mandatory requirements for further leave to remain as a spouse are:
- it must be demonstrated that the relationship is ‘genuine and subsisting’ and that there exists an intention to continue living together permanently. Furthermore, there must be evidence of cohabitation since leave was originally granted.
- the financial requirements can be met.
- there must be suitable accommodation available which is not overcrowded.
- the English language requirements, at Level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, must be met, although there are some exemptions to this rule affecting:
- applicants who have a degree or equivalent qualification in any subject, as long as the teaching was in English,
- applicants from a majority English speaking country, as defined by the UK Visas and Immigration
- applicants over the age of sixty five or suffering a physical or mental impairment which would make passing the test difficult.
- the suitability requirements which relate to character, conduct and previous immigration history must be met.
- no more than one hundred and eighty days may be spent outside of the UK in any twelve months period
How Can We Help You?
If you are seeking to remain in the UK on the basis of your relationship with a British national settled in the UK, we can assist you in the process from start to finish. Accurate preparation of all documentation in advance of the deadline is absolutely essential.
Immigration Rules are strict and costly application fees have to be produced.
The presentation of inadequate or inaccurate documents may not only result in the forfeiture of such fees but the applicant becoming an ‘over stayer’, subject to deportation.
At Kangs Solicitors we have specialist Immigration solicitors available to assist in all aspects of Immigration Law and the preparation of essential visa applications.
Who Can I Contact For Help?
Please feel free to contact our Immigration Team through the following who will be happy to speak to you and guide you:
Languages spoken: English, Turkish, Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi