Kangs Solicitors has recently successfully defended, before Birmingham Magistrates’ Court, a client who is a professional man with no previous convictions who had been charged with an offence of Voyeurism under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
Helen Holder of Kangs Solicitors reports upon this successful acquittal.
We have acted in many high-profile investigations such as the wide-ranging Metropolitan Police investigation ‘Operation Yewtree’.
Recognised as one of the leading criminal defence firms in the country, we are top ranked in Band 1 and Tier 1 for our work in this area by both the leading legal directories Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500.
Our reputation as a leading criminal defence firm is further recognised by two further awards:
- Kangs Solicitors won the Legal 500 award for ‘Criminal Law Firm of the Year’.
- The firm’s principal solicitor Hamraj Kang won the Legal 500 award for ‘Individual Criminal Solicitor of the Year’.
We appreciate the strain on individuals and their families when facing allegations of a sexual nature and we are here to assist you to alleviate such difficulties and pressures.
Our team can be contacted for confidential and discrete advice as follows:
The Circumstances | Kangs Sexual Offences Solicitors
It was alleged by a serving police officer that our client had looked under a cubicle partition in the showers of a multi sex changing room witnessing her naked whilst in the shower.
Voyeurism | The Relevant Law | Kangs Sexual Offences Defence Team
Section 67 The Sexual Offences Act 2003 states:
(1) A person commits an offence if—
(a) for the purpose of obtaining sexual gratification, he observes another person doing a private act, and
(b) he knows that the other person does not consent to being observed for his sexual gratification.
The offence is ‘either way’ which means that it can be dealt with in either the Magistrates’ Court or the Crown Court and the maximum sentence upon conviction is two years imprisonment.
There is also the possibility, depending on the sentence, of being included on the Sex Offenders Register.
How We Assisted Our Client | Kangs Solicitors Criminal Defence Team
By way of preparation of our client’s defence, the Team at Kangs Solicitors:
- examined in detail and critically analysed all of the material served by the Prosecution,
- obtained our client’s instructions in detail and advised him upon his position and the appropriate course to adopt,
- visited the site, took numerous photographs and measurements and obtained full details of our client’s gym membership activities,
- prepared for trial by submitting evidence disclosure requests to the Prosecution andobtaining a large amount of Character Evidence which supported our client’s position and which was used in evidence at the Trial,
- fully briefed Counsel who represented our client at Trial.
The Successful Outcome | Kangs Voyeurism Offence Defence Solicitors
Following effective cross-examination of the Prosecution witnesses and the successful presentation of our client’s evidence, the District Judge acquitted our client of the charge.
Our client was naturally overjoyed with the result. He retains his good character and employment. The proceedings created enormous personal stress to him and he was extremely grateful to the Team at Kangs Solicitors for the support he received and the detailed preparation of his defence.
How Can We Help? | Kangs Serious Crime Solicitors
We understand that:
- allegations of a sexual nature have a serious impact and often adversely affect relationships with spouses, partners, children and colleagues,
- there is the potential for reputational damage and an adverse impact on employment prospects or business opportunities,
- the strain of any sexual offence allegation can cause significant mental health issues,
- considerable care and attention are required when dealing with issues of such sensitivity.
The Team at Kangs Solicitors has considerable experience in managing such issues on behalf of clients and guiding them to successful outcomes.
Who Can I Contact For Help? | Kangs National Sexual Offences Defence Solicitors
Our expert 24/7 Rapid Response Police Station Team is here to assist you on 07989 521 210 should you require advice and assistance out of office hours.
Hamraj Kang leads an award-winning team of lawyers nationally recognised for its excellence and expertise in the area of sexual offences investigations and prosecutions.
We welcome enquiries by telephone or email.
We provide an initial no obligation consultation from our offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Alternatively, we provide initial consultations by telephone or video conferencing.