Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'
Private Criminal Prosecutions. An Alternative To Civil Proceedings?
The right to bring a private prosecution is one which is being exercised on an ever increasing basis, especially where economic crime is involved.
They are really great lawyers. Their client care is premiumChambers & Partners | 2018 Edition
What Is A Private Prosecution?
A private prosecution is one which is not brought by the police or other prosecuting authority but by a private individual or entity.
The pursuit of a private prosecution allows an aggrieved party to seek redress through a criminal court, frequently alongside the more traditional approach of a civil court action.
In the event that the proceedings result in a conviction, the convicted person faces the same criminal court sanctions as would have been the case if the state had been the Prosecutor.
When May A Private Prosecution Be Considered Appropriate?
- In the event that a public body, such as the Crown Prosecution Service, for example, decides not to prosecute a person for an alleged wrong-doing, the victim of the alleged crime may bring a private prosecution under section 6(1) of the Prosecution of Offences Act 1985 with the intent of seeing that justice is served.
- Where an individual or corporate body has suffered financially from dishonesty a private prosecution may provide a speedier course of redress than the pursuit of proceedings through a civil court.
- The alleged offence complained of must not be one for which the consent of the Attorney General or Director of Public Prosecutions is required.
What Are The Advantages Of A Private Criminal Prosecution?
- A prosecution may be commenced in situations where a normal prosecuting agency is prevaricating and reluctant to proceed.
- In the current climate of costs budgeting in the civil courts, it is very much the case that far too much time can be lost over costs issues to the extent that they frequently become the focus of the proceedings.
- A successful private prosecution may well lead to a substantial payment of costs being recovered from central funds.
- Once all preliminary preparatory work has been satisfactorily conducted and a summons issued, the subsequent procedure is comparatively straightforward.
What is impressive is the strength in depth of the team of solicitors at Kangs – they are a very skilled and talented teamChambers & Partners | 2017 Edition
In his recent article ‘Dealing With Mental Health Disorders’ posted to this site on 14th May 2019 Nazaqat Maqsoom of Kangs Solicitors commented on various matters concerning such cases. He now outlines the Orders available to the courts under The Mental Health Act...
Kangs Solicitors has been instructed to represent a Company Director in the defence of proceedings at Reading Crown Court pursuant to the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (POCA). The Circumstances | Kangs POCA Defence Team Confiscation proceedings under POCA are being...
Tax Fraud and Money Laundering Trial Commences | Nottingham Crown Court | Kangs Financial Crime Defence Team
As previously reported in an article posted to this website Kangs Solicitors is defending a client charged with conspiracy to commit Tax Fraud and Money Laundering. The trial has now commenced at Nottingham Crown Court. The prosecution is being conducted by the...
On 12th April 2019, The Counter-Terrorism and Border Security Act (‘the Act’) came into force in the wake of ongoing national security concerns. John Veale of Kangs Solicitors outlines some of this new legislation. The Act | Kangs Solicitors Serious Crime Legislation...
Clients suffering from any one or more of a variety of mental health disorders require specialised attention. Nazaqat Maqsoom of Kangs Solicitors briefly outlines the nature of some mental disorders and the manner in which Courts deal with those accused of any crime...
Potential Areas For Caution
- Anyone faced with having to defend a private prosecution will be well advised to seek expert advice and guidance. Such an expert will be alert to identifying a vexatious or improper private prosecution and will seek to derail such proceedings.
- The proper and accurate compilation, preservation and presentation of the evidence is crucial in order to convince a judge that the procedure is being used appropriately.
- Whilst it is perfectly acceptable for a private prosecutor to hold a degree of personal interest, the test is objective, involving some public interest.
How Can Kangs Solicitors Help With A Private Criminal Prosecution?
At Kangs Solicitors our team is experienced in both pursuing and defending Private Prosecutions, closely working alongside experienced counsel.
Should you wish to consider the issue of such proceedings or find yourself having to defend yourself upon receipt of such a summons, please contact our team through any of the following who will be delighted to assist.
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
9 Carmelite Street, City of London
London, EC4Y 0DR
020 7936 6396
Pall Mall Court 61-67 King Street
Manchester, M2 4PD