Vacancy for a Commercial Litigation Lawyer (0-3 Years PQE)
KANGS Solicitors is a boutique six-partner commercial and criminal litigation law firm with offices in Birmingham, London and Manchester.
We are recognised as one of the leading criminal & fraud litigation firms in the country and ranked in the highest tier of law firms by both the Legal 500 and Chambers UK.
The firm has won numerous national awards, including the Legal 500 ‘Criminal & Fraud Law Firm of the Year’ as well as numerous individual awards and accolades for its highly rated personnel.
We are looking for a qualified candidate (solicitor or legal executive) with 0-3 years PQE to join us as an Associate. The candidate will want to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment alongside some excellent litigation lawyers.
We are seeking a commercial/insolvency/tax/fraud litigation solicitor or legal executive to work full time in our Birmingham Head Office based in the city centre at 34 St. Paul’s Square.
The firm has a strong commitment to ‘growing its own partners’ with two of the current six partners in the firm starting their careers as trainee solicitors with KANGS.
The Role - Areas of Work
The candidate will be expected to conduct their own High Court litigation caseload as well as assisting Partners and Senior Associates with a wide range of commercial litigation matters, predominately falling within the jurisdiction of the Business & Property Courts of England and Wales as well as work involving a significant international dimension.
The successful applicant will be expected to work in the areas of:
- Insolvency Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Civil Fraud
- Tax Litigation
A brief outline of the work is below.
- Company Director Disqualification Proceedings
- Liquidator claims for and against company directors
- Company Liquidations
- Winding Up Petitions
- Insolvency Service Investigations
- Wrongful & Fraudulent Trading
- Contract Disputes
- Technology & Construction Disputes/Adjudication
- Shareholder & Director Disputes
- Banking & Finance Litigation
- Professional Negligence
- Defamation, Libel & Media
- International Disputes
- Commercial Agent Regulation Disputes
- Injunctive Relief & Interim Applications
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Sports Law
- Civil Fraud & Asset Recovery
- Account Freezing Orders
- Worldwide Freezing Injunctions
- Search Orders
- Norwich Pharmacal Applications
- Cryptocurrency Disputes
- Tax Tribunal work
- HMRC Civil Tax Investigations
The Role - Tasks
A successful candidate will be required to undertake the following non-exhaustive list of tasks:
- Conduct their own High Court litigation caseload.
- Attend client conferences and conferences with Counsel
- Draft letters, formal documents, pleadings and witness statements
- Consider voluminous disclosure and prepare detailed disclosure requests
- Have an excellent knowledge of the Civil Procedure Rules
- Prepare Instructions & Briefs to Counsel
- Prepare trial bundles
- Attend all court hearings
- Prepare Notes of Trial
- Undertake Legal Research and draft topical articles for publication.
Requirements For The Position
Essential skills required for the role include:
- Good academic qualifications (minimum 2:1 Degree) & LPC/BPC
- Common sense and good judgment
- Punctuality and good time keeping
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Being administratively proficient
- Excellent I.T. skills to include use of case management systems and online legal research tools
- Good legal research skills and ability to draft well-constructed written legal notes/arguments
- An ability to work hard and to meet demanding deadlines
- Capable of working alone or as part of a team
- Being motivated and pro-active
- Being a good reflection on the firm
- A strong desire to learn and improve knowledge and other skills continuously.
It is not a requirement to have experience in all the areas of work listed above but it is a requirement to have undertaken general commercial litigation (High Court) work and have an excellent understanding of the Civil Procedure Rules.
Salary & Working Hours
Salary: Competitive salary and dependent on relevant experience.
Hours: 9am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday (office based at 34 St. Paul’s Square, Birmingham B3 1QZ)
The Application Process
Candidates should apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to the Senior Partner (see details below).
The covering letter should explain:
- why the candidate seeks the role
- why the candidate wants to work for KANGS; and
- what qualities and skills the candidate will bring to the firm.
CV and covering letter to be sent to:
Mr Hamraj Kang
Senior Partner, KANGS Solicitors
By email only: email@example.com