Stuart is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Team at Kangs, with over 17 years’ experience dealing with a wide range of civil and commercial disputes. He is an accomplished Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience in Civil Proceedings as well as being a fully qualified Mediator.
Stuart also has an LLM in Intellectual Property Law and is an Allied Member of the Chartered Institute for Trademark Attorneys.
Stuart has practised in Commercial & Chancery Litigation in England and Wales since 2006. His previous experience includes working for several years in law firms in Washington DC and New York.
Stuart’s main contentious practice entails:
- Insolvency Litigation
- Intellectual Property (contentious and non-contentious)
- Contractual Disputes
- Shareholder & Partnership Disputes
- Sports (contentious and non-contentious)
- Civil Fraud & Asset Recovery
- Cryptocurrency Disputes
- Technology and Construction Disputes
- Professional Negligence
- Traffic Commissioner’s Inquiries
- HMRC Tax Tribunal Litigation
- Director Disqualification matters.
As a consequence of his work, Stuart has experience of:
- Interim & Final Injunctions
- Norwich Pharmacal Applications
- Hearings before the Court of Arbitration for Sport disputes.
In addition to undertaking contentious work, Stuart also acts in a “General Counsel” role for Companies, start-ups & new companies advising on Intellectual Property Rights (“IPR”), business audits, corporate structures and restructures.
Stuart’s clients range from Domestic & International Companies, Company Directors, Liquidators and Trustees in Bankruptcy to Sports teams, Team Owners and National Sporting Leagues as well as family run businesses.
Stuart has many years’ experience acting for individuals, companies and Insolvency Practitioners in relation to the full array of insolvency matters.
He is regularly instructed in relation to matters such as:
- Presenting and defending Statutory Demands
- Presenting and defending Winding Up Petitions
- Presenting and defending Bankruptcy Petitions
- Creditors Voluntary Liquidations
- Compulsory Liquidation
- Director Disqualification Proceedings
- Defending Misfeasance Claims against Company Directors
- Representation at Public Examinations – section 235 and 236 Insolvency Act Interviews
- Section 216 Insolvency Act Applications
- Defending Claims for Wrongful and Fraudulent Trading
- Company Restoration Cases
He is regularly retained by Insolvency Practitioners to act on their behalf concerning:
- Recovery of monies owed to debtors and former directors
- Wrongful and fraudulent trading matters
- Transactions at undervalue / preferences
- Breach of directors’ fiduciary duties
Intellectual Property Work
Stuart has a particular interest in Intellectual Property work having completed a Masters Degree in Intellectual Property Law.
Stuart has represented several tech start-ups, inventors, entrepreneurs and established companies concentrating on matters such as:
- Trademark disputes
- Copyright & Patent disputes
- Breach of Confidence and Trust
- Database Rights
- Registered Designs
Commercial & Chancery Work
Stuart has considerable experience in a broad range of Commercial and Chancery matters including:
- Construction Disputes & Adjudications
- Shareholder and Boardroom disputes
- Unfair Prejudice claims
- Partnership Disputes
- Breach of Contract claims
- Norwich Pharmacal applications
- Professional Negligence
- Banking and Financial Services Litigation
- Defamation, Libel & Slander
- Class Actions | Group Litigation Orders