John Veale is a Partner and the Head of the Regulatory Team at Kangs Solicitors.
A vastly experienced litigation solicitor, John joined the firm in 2001 and has led the Regulatory Team since 2017.
John specialises in a range of investigation and litigation work including:
- Investigations and prosecutions brought by Government Regulators involving:
- Health & Safety
- Fire Safety
- the Environment Agency
- Trading Standards
- the ICO
- the FCA
- the Insolvency Service.
- Professional Discipline investigations and proceedings to include professions such as medical, legal, accountancy and sports to name a few.
- Civil Tax Investigations and HMRC Enquiries including COP8, COP9 and Tax Tribunal litigation.
- White-Collar Fraud, Money Laundering and VAT investigations involving cross border issues.
- Private Prosecution work.
- POCA, Restraint and Freezing Orders including Property & Account Freezing Orders.
- Asset Recovery and Civil & Criminal Restraint Proceedings.
John is recommended in the leading directories, Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners, for his work in the areas of Complex Fraud, Financial Crime, POCA and Serious Crime.
“He has superb attention to detail with a strong appetite for achieving great results”
“He is a lawyer with exceptionally good judgement”.
“He is always calm and measured, and is technically very good”.
“He is a calming influence in the midst of a difficult case”.
“John Veale is an outstanding solicitor, dedicated and extremely hard-working”.
“John Veale is absolutely fearless with an extremely calm presence when all around appears frenetic”.
“John Veale is lauded for his work on complex fraud cases. A very measured, calm and reassuring solicitor”.
“John Veale is renowned for his meticulous preparation of cases. He deals with cases of significant complexity and magnitude with ease”.
“John Veale is praised for his work on complex fraud cases. He is committed and no task is too much trouble”.
“John Veale – a top solicitor and a fine individual”
“John Veale has extensive experience in fraud, bribery and corruption investigations.”
“He’s unflappable and he provides careful, methodical and faultless advice.”
“Experienced in acting for clients in POCA proceedings relating to fraud and money laundering.”
“Incredibly reassuring and knowledgeable.”
“He is an astute measured solicitor with superb knowledge of the restraint regime and is skilled in dealing with high-pressure situations while achieving great results for his clients.”
“John Veale is an exceptional worker who will leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of his client’s best interests.”
“John Veale knows his cases back to front and his case preparation is second to none.”
“He also possesses a rare ability to get the big tactical calls in a case right.”
John Veale is recognised for his skill in fraud and money laundering cases. Sources state that “he is an extremely experienced lawyer,” adding that “he has superb client skills combined with impeccable technical knowledge.’
Sources describe John Veale as “incredibly hard-working and wholly committed to the interests of his clients,” and also add: “He has an amazing ability to empathise and is a great technical lawyer.” He has considerable experience handling restraint and confiscation proceedings brought under POCA.
“Senior solicitor John Veale who has strong expertise in fraud cases and drugs conspiracies.”
John Veale is ‘a very methodical and hard-working individual’ who ‘always ensures his focus is on the best outcome for the client’.
John Veale is ‘a calm, reassuring and clever lawyer’.
A Sample of Recent Work
John’s work encompasses considerable cross-over between regulatory, tax, criminal, civil and asset forfeiture legislation.
As such he is ideally placed to provide individual and corporate clients with a ‘fully rounded’ legal view considering both civil and criminal liability issues when dispensing advice.
A small sample of recent work includes:
- Numerous complex regulatory cases – Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Environment Agency, Food Safety, Fire Safety & FCA Investigations.
- Representation before the Football Association Independent Regulatory Commission on behalf of professionals in football.
- Acting for accountants, doctors and solicitors in relation to regulatory and criminal investigations.
- Acting in numerous Civil Tax Enquiries and Investigations conducted by HMRC including on behalf of various non-domiciled clients.
- Numerous large-scale VAT fraud cases ranging from VAT losses of £50 million to £182 million.
- Advisory work for corporate clients in relation to bribery & corruption, money laundering and proceeds of crime matters.
- Multi-million pounds Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA 2002) cases.
- Account Freezing Orders and Property Freezing Orders pursuant to POCA 2002.
- Multi-million pounds Insolvency Service ‘live company’ investigation involving overseas entities.
- Large scale multi-million pounds mortgage fraud investigations.
- Bribery & corruption investigations and prosecutions.
- Acting in a prosecution for gross negligence manslaughter.
- Acting in a FBI backed prosecution for attempted importation of IED.
John welcomes enquires by telephone or email.
He is available to meet with clients at any of our offices in London, Birmingham or Manchester.
He is also available to conduct meetings via video conferencing.