John Veale, joined Kangs Solicitors in 2001,completing his training contract and qualifying as a solicitor in 2003.
John is Head of the firm’s Regulatory & Compliance Department and is recommended in the leading directories, Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners, for his work in the areas of complex fraud, financial crime, POCA and serious crime.
What the Legal Directories say:
Chambers & Partners | 2021 Edition
- “He is a lawyer with exceptionally good judgement”.
- “He is always calm and measured, and is technically very good”.
- “He is a calming influence in the midst of a difficult case”.
Legal 500 | 2021 Edition
- “John Veale is an outstanding solicitor, dedicated and extremely hard-working”.
- “John Veale is absolutely fearless with an extremely calm presence when all around appears frenetic”.
- “John Veale is lauded for his work on complex fraud cases. A very measured, calm and reassuring solicitor”.
- “John Veale is renowned for his meticulous preparation of cases. He deals with cases of significant complexity and magnitude with ease”.
Chambers & Partners | 2020 Edition
- John Veale has extensive experience in fraud, bribery and corruption investigations.
- “He’s unflappable and he provides careful, methodical and faultless advice.”
- Experienced in acting for clients in POCA proceedings relating to fraud and money laundering.
- “Incredibly reassuring and knowledgeable.”
- “He is an astute measured solicitor with superb knowledge of the restraint regime and is skilled in dealing with high-pressure situations while achieving great results for his clients.”
Legal 500 | 2020 Edition
- “John Veale is an exceptional worker who will leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of his client’s best interests.”
- “John Veale knows his cases back to front and his case preparation is second to none.”
- “He also possesses a rare ability to get the big tactical calls in a case right.”
Chambers & Partners | 2019 Edition
- ‘John Veale is recognised for his skill in fraud and money laundering cases. Sources state that “he is an extremely experienced lawyer,” adding that “he has superb client skills combined with impeccable technical knowledge.”’
Chambers & Partners | 2019 Edition
- Sources describe John Veale as “incredibly hard-working and wholly committed to the interests of his clients,” and also add: “He has an amazing ability to empathise and is a great technical lawyer.” He has considerable experience handling restraint and confiscation proceedings brought under POCA.
Legal 500 | 2019 Edition
- Senior solicitor John Veale who has strong expertise in fraud cases and drugs conspiracies.
- John Veale is ‘a very methodical and hard-working individual’ who ‘always ensures his focus is on the best outcome for the client’.
- John Veale is ‘a calm, reassuring and clever lawyer’.
A Sample of Recent Work
- Complex Regulatory Cases – Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Environment Agency, Fire Safety & FCA Investigations
- Numerous multi-million pound VAT frauds (R v C: £182m, Operation Duma £50m, (Operation Abundant- Case stayed for abuse of process)
- Drugs conspiracies involving hundreds of kilograms of class ‘A’ drugs
- Large scale multi-million pound mortgage fraud cases
- Corruption cases
- Multi-million pound Proceeds of Crime / Confiscation Cases
- Firearms cases
- Benefit fraud ranging from over-claims to the much publicised motor mobility fraud
- Serious criminal matters
- Gross negligence manslaughter
- Attempted importation of IED
- Rape and coercive control
- Insolvency Service | Company Investigations
John is very experienced in dealing with Restraint and complex Confiscation Proceedings brought under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and regularly advises clients from the outset and throughout the duration of the proceedings.
John has an excellent track record of achieving acquittals for his clients, always provides the best possible service for his clients and leaves no stone unturned when it comes to the preparation and presentation of each client’s defence.
John is accustomed to travelling to police stations and courts throughout the country and makes every effort to be available for his clients at all times.
Section 330 of The Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (‘POCA’) places an obligation on anyone working within the ‘regulated sector’ to disclose any knowledge or suspicion of money laundering activity with failure to do so constituting a criminal offence. John...
Kangs Solicitors has acquired high acclaim nationally for successfully representing clients in relation to Revenue and Tax fraud investigations since 1997. It is anticipated that the level of active HMRC fraud investigations will increase significantly as a result of...
Adopting provisions contained within The Coronavirus Act 2020 (‘the Act’) has enabled Kangs Solicitors avoid the need for an eighty years old client, who lives in a remote part of Wales, to travel to a preliminary Court Hearing in Manchester, which only lasted a few...
A recent ruling by the Supreme Court has restricted the powers of the Serious Fraud Office (‘SFO’) under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice Act 1987 (‘the Act’). Hamraj Kang of Kangs Solicitors provides a brief commentary on the recent decision. The team at Kangs...
Harassment occurs when someone behaves in a manner which results in one or more persons feeling threatened or humiliated and which leads to distress. The offence can be committed in a number of ways including personal visits, phone calls, letters and emails...
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
9 Carmelite Street,
London, EC4Y 0DR
020 7936 6396
76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH