John Veale, joined Kangs Solicitors in 2001,completing his training contract and qualifying as a solicitor in 2003.
John is Head of the firm’s Regulatory & Compliance Department and is recommended in the leading directories, Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners, for his work in the areas of complex fraud, financial crime, POCA and serious crime.
What the Legal Directories say:
Chambers & Partners | 2020 Edition
- John Veale has extensive experience in fraud, bribery and corruption investigations.
- “He’s unflappable and he provides careful, methodical and faultless advice.”
- Experienced in acting for clients in POCA proceedings relating to fraud and money laundering.
- “Incredibly reassuring and knowledgeable.”
- “He is an astute measured solicitor with superb knowledge of the restraint regime and is skilled in dealing with high-pressure situations while achieving great results for his clients.”
Legal 500 | 2020 Edition
- “John Veale is an exceptional worker who will leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of his client’s best interests.”
- “John Veale knows his cases back to front and his case preparation is second to none.”
- “He also possesses a rare ability to get the big tactical calls in a case right.”
Chambers & Partners | 2019 Edition
- ‘John Veale is recognised for his skill in fraud and money laundering cases. Sources state that “he is an extremely experienced lawyer,” adding that “he has superb client skills combined with impeccable technical knowledge.”’
Chambers & Partners | 2019 Edition
- Sources describe John Veale as “incredibly hard-working and wholly committed to the interests of his clients,” and also add: “He has an amazing ability to empathise and is a great technical lawyer.” He has considerable experience handling restraint and confiscation proceedings brought under POCA.
Legal 500 | 2019 Edition
- Senior solicitor John Veale who has strong expertise in fraud cases and drugs conspiracies.
- John Veale is ‘a very methodical and hard-working individual’ who ‘always ensures his focus is on the best outcome for the client’.
- John Veale is ‘a calm, reassuring and clever lawyer’.
A Sample of Recent Work
- Complex Regulatory Cases – Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Environment Agency, Fire Safety & FCA Investigations
- Numerous multi-million pound VAT frauds (R v C: £182m, Operation Duma £50m, (Operation Abundant- Case stayed for abuse of process)
- Drugs conspiracies involving hundreds of kilograms of class ‘A’ drugs
- Large scale multi-million pound mortgage fraud cases
- Corruption cases
- Multi-million pound Proceeds of Crime / Confiscation Cases
- Firearms cases
- Benefit fraud ranging from over-claims to the much publicised motor mobility fraud
- Serious criminal matters
- Gross negligence manslaughter
- Attempted importation of IED
- Rape and coercive control
- Insolvency Service | Company Investigations
John is very experienced in dealing with Restraint and complex Confiscation Proceedings brought under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and regularly advises clients from the outset and throughout the duration of the proceedings.
John has an excellent track record of achieving acquittals for his clients, always provides the best possible service for his clients and leaves no stone unturned when it comes to the preparation and presentation of each client’s defence.
John is accustomed to travelling to police stations and courts throughout the country and makes every effort to be available for his clients at all times.
The article posted to this website on 10 July 2020 entitled ‘Confiscation Orders | The Assumptions’ focused upon various factors considered when ascertaining the amount to be repaid by a convicted defendant as the result of financial gain received by that person...
Conviction for certain criminal offences will result in the making of a Confiscation Order under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (‘POCA’’). Part of the process involved in calculating the financial liability of a defendant to be paid under a Confiscation Order will be...
Trading Standards Officers exercise such powers as the right to enter premises to inspect and to secure or seize material that might be required by way of evidence in any subsequent court proceedings. Most of these powers are granted by the Consumer Rights...
A number of arrests have been made in recent days in the UK and across Europe as a result of law enforcement agencies gaining access to an encrypted phone network called EncroChat which is allegedly widely used by criminal networks. The National Crime Agency (NCA) has...
Kangs Solicitors has a longstanding history of advising businesses, directors and individual clients in relation to their obligations under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 (‘the Regulations’) and in the...
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
9 Carmelite Street,
London, EC4Y 0DR
020 7936 6396
76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH