John Veale, joined Kangs Solicitors in 2001,completing his training contract and qualifying as a solicitor in 2003.
John is Head of the firm’s Regulatory & Compliance Department and is recommended in the leading directories, Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners, for his work in the areas of complex fraud, financial crime, POCA and serious crime.
What the Legal Directories say
Chambers & Partners | 2019 Edition
- ‘John Veale is recognised for his skill in fraud and money laundering cases. Sources state that “he is an extremely experienced lawyer,” adding that “he has superb client skills combined with impeccable technical knowledge.”’
Chambers & Partners | 2019 Edition
- Sources describe John Veale as “incredibly hard-working and wholly committed to the interests of his clients,” and also add: “He has an amazing ability to empathise and is a great technical lawyer.” He has considerable experience handling restraint and confiscation proceedings brought under POCA.
Legal 500 | 2019 Edition
- Senior solicitor John Veale who has strong expertise in fraud cases and drugs conspiracies.
- John Veale is ‘a very methodical and hard-working individual’ who ‘always ensures his focus is on the best outcome for the client’.
- John Veale is ‘a calm, reassuring and clever lawyer’.
A Sample of Recent Work
- Complex Regulatory Cases – Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Environment Agency, Fire Safety & FCA Investigations
- Numerous multi-million pound VAT frauds (R v C: £182m, Operation Duma £50m, (Operation Abundant- Case stayed for abuse of process)
- Drugs conspiracies involving hundreds of kilograms of class ‘A’ drugs
- Large scale multi-million pound mortgage fraud cases
- Corruption cases
- Multi-million pound Proceeds of Crime / Confiscation Cases
- Firearms cases
- Benefit fraud ranging from over-claims to the much publicised motor mobility fraud
- Serious criminal matters
- Gross negligence manslaughter
- Attempted importation of IED
- Rape and coercive control
- Insolvency Service | Company Investigations
John is very experienced in dealing with Restraint and complex Confiscation Proceedings brought under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and regularly advises clients from the outset and throughout the duration of the proceedings.
John has an excellent track record of achieving acquittals for his clients, always provides the best possible service for his clients and leaves no stone unturned when it comes to the preparation and presentation of each client’s defence.
John is accustomed to travelling to police stations and courts throughout the country and makes every effort to be available for his clients at all times.
More often than not, the superior financial resources of a proposed opponent deters many aggrieved prospective Claimants from pursuing their rights through the civil courts. Stuart Southall of Kangs Solicitors considers the case of Bentley 1962 Limited & Another v...
The Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 introduced Sexual Risk Orders (‘an Order’) which are controversial to the extent that an Application for an Order can be made even if the subject of the Application has not been convicted or cautioned for a sexual...
The Scrap Metal Dealer Act 2013 (‘the Act’) was enacted to regulate the industry and it creates criminal offences for those individuals and companies failing to comply. Tim Thompson of Kangs Solicitors outlines some of the provisions. The Law | Kangs Scrap Metals...
The law makes provision for anyone subject to a Director Disqualification Order by virtue of a Disqualification Undertaking to apply to the court for its variation or even provide for it to cease to be in force. Tim Thompson of Kangs Solicitors briefly discusses...
Kangs Solicitors has recently successfully acted for a client seeking the release of funds, which had been made the subject of an Account Freezing Order (‘AFO’), and which the Crown was seeking to forfeit. Tim Thompson of Kangs Solicitors explains the circumstances....
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
9 Carmelite Street,
London, EC4Y 0DR
020 7936 6396
76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH