Domestic Violence | Successful Leave To Remain Application | Kangs Immigration Solicitors
Kangs Solicitors has recently succeeded in assisting a client, who is a female Pakistani national and who had suffered domestic abuse, obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.
Sharan Rupra of Kangs Solicitors explains the circumstances.
The Circumstances | Kangs Immigration Appeal Solicitors
- Our client entered into an arranged marriage with a British Citizen and, after gaining entry clearance, entered the UK in February 2012.
- Upon entering the UK, a family member confiscated her passport and she lived with her husband and six members of his family in an extremely overcrowded property.
- Our client is illiterate and her husband suffers from learning disabilities which resulted in them both being dependant upon his father who made all the decisions in the household.
- Our client was dependent upon the family to submit her application to extend her visa.
- An extension application was refused as she had not taken the required English Language Test and a further application, submitted on the basis of ‘private and family life in the UK’ was also refused.
- In due course, an appeal before the Immigration Tribunal in 2016 was also unsuccessful.
- Our client was neither aware of the Appeal nor that her stay in the UK had become illegal.
Domestic Abuse | Kangs Domestic Abuse Team
The abuse suffered by our client included her:
- not being allowed to leave the house unless accompanied by a family member,
- being treated like a slave in that she was required to do all the family cooking, cleaning and domestic duties which would begin at from 6am and finish after everyone else had gone to bed.
- suffering mental abuse and humiliation from the family and indiscriminate physical abuse when she failed to satisfy the demands placed on her.
- only occasionally being allowed to see her own family and never allowed to see them unsupervised.
How We Assisted Our Client | Kangs Immigration Appeal Team
- After five years of abuse our client ran out of the house when she faced immediate violence, the police assisted her in finding safe accommodation and she requested help from Kangs Solicitors.
- After taking detailed instructions, the Kangs team prepared and submitted in detail a DDV Concession application on behalf of our client which resulted in an initial three months visa being issued.
- The Kangs team liaised with all the necessary bodies including the police, doctors, refuge and counselling charities and the Home Office.
- We then submitted a SET(DV) application together with all necessary supporting documents.
The Successful Outcome | Kangs Immigration Appeal Team
Having successfully proven that our client had suffered and faced further domestic abuse, she was granted Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.
How Can We Help? | Kangs Immigration Solicitors
If you are or you suspect someone is a victim of domestic violence we are able to advise and assist you/them in seeking satisfactory immigration status in the UK.
Our Immigration Team is also regularly instructed to appeal cases at all levels.
If you find yourself in a position whereby you require immigration advice on any matter then please do not hesitate to contact our team.
Who Can I Contact For Help? | Kangs Immigration Solicitors
Please feel free to contact our Immigration Team through: