Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'
"One of, if not the best, criminal specialist firms in the country" (Legal 500 | 2021 Edition)
HMRC Civil Tax Investigations
Kangs Solicitors has a proven track record of successfully representing clients in disputes with the UK tax authorities for over twenty years.
Since 1997 we have been deploying our extensive resources, expertise and skill to advise both corporate and individual clients in complex and often multi-jurisdictional tax investigations.
Our award-winning team of solicitors is nationally recognised for its work in relation to HMRC tax investigations.
Noted expertise in HMRC cases. Extremely well-reputed for advising on high-value matters.
Both the leading directories, the Legal 500 and Chambers UK rank the firm in the highest categories for our work in financial fraud and tax investigations.
Call Us For Confidential Advice
Our team is sensitive to the fact that a HMRC enquiry or investigation can have a significant impact on the operation of a business and on the livelihood of an individual. We aim to minimise the risk of reputational damage and provide practical cost-effective solutions for our clients.
If you have received correspondence from HMRC or you are concerned about your tax affairs, our team of expert tax solicitors can be contacted for confidential and discrete advice as follows:
We act for a wide range of clients in a variety of sectors including payroll companies, the pensions industry and the alcohol trade.
Our clients in HMRC tax investigations include:
- Corporations and companies
- LLPs and partnerships
- Sole traders
- Professional advisers – legal, accountancy and financial
- HNW Individuals.
What Do We Do?
We advise and represent clients in relation to:
- HMRC tax compliance checks
- HMRC tax enquiries
- HMRC tax investigations
- proceedings before the First-tier Tribunal and Upper Tribunal (Tax Chamber)
- criminal proceedings when HMRC allege fraud has taken place
Our expertise in relation to HMRC tax investigations is extensive and includes:
- VAT & Kittel investigations, penalties and assessments
- MTIC investigations
- Personal tax investigations and assessments
- Code of Practice 8 (COP8)
- Code of Practice 9 (COP9)
- PAYE & National Insurance Contributions
- Corporation Tax Investigations and assessments
- Excise Duty
- Customs Duty
- Disguised Remuneration Schemes
- Tax Avoidance Schemes
How Can We Help?
Our experienced team takes a proactive approach to cases by actively engaging with HMRC to achieve positive results without the need to resort to costly litigation and thereby reducing any penalties payable.
We can guide you in relation to:
- understanding the litigation and settlement strategy of HMRC and advising you accordingly
- making the appropriate disclosures to HMRC and responding to its on-going queries
- negotiating with HMRC on your behalf to secure favourable repayment terms and reduced penalties
- the use of ADR by our qualified mediators as a means of settling tax disputes with HMRC
- ensuring that the complex disclosure regime is complied with to the satisfaction of HMRC
- preserving any immunity from criminal prosecution offered by HMRC
- appropriate and robust representation before the First-tier Tax Tribunal and Upper Tribunal
- advice on complex cross-border tax issues and work closely with professional advisers based in foreign jurisdictions
We are knowledgeable and experienced in many of the common and recurring features of a HMRC tax investigations including:
- existence of undeclared offshore funds and assets
- under declaration of personal income
- under declaration of business sales
- suppression of business turnover
- non-disclosure of worldwide income
- allegations of fraud central to the tax dispute
We guide clients through the complex process of making disclosure of unpaid tax to HMRC. The process can be time consuming and numerous disclosure reports may be required.
If HMRC considers that full disclosure has not been made or that a serious financial offence has been committed, it has the right to withdraw from the civil regime and pursue both corporate and individual clients on a criminal basis.
Our specialist team of white-collar crime defence solicitors are available to assist in any such investigation and prosecution. We are ranked as one of the leading criminal fraud defence firms in the country.
HMRC Civil Enforcement
We have extensive experience advising corporate and individual clients in relation to enforcement action taken by HMRC.
We actively negotiate and engage with HMRC on behalf of clients to seek an early cost-effective resolution to any tax dispute and avoid enforcement action.
Often in a personal bankruptcy or corporate insolvency, HMRC is the largest creditor and it seeks to use its powers of enforcement to protect its position.
Our work in this area includes:
- Advice on VAT Security Notices issued by HMRC
- Defending criminal prosecutions for failure to comply with a VAT Security Notice
- Advice on Accelerated Payment Notices
- Defending and setting aside Statutory Demands served by HMRC
- Defending Bankruptcy Petitions presented by HMRC
- Opposing Winding Up Petitions presented by HMRC
In addition to our own team of award-winning solicitors, we have long-established working relationships with other professionals who we are often required to work in conjunction with on HMRC tax cases including forensic accountants as well as the leading barristers and QCs in the country.
Who Can I Contact For Help?
Hamraj Kang leads an award-winning team of lawyers nationally recognised for its excellence and expertise in HMRC cases.
We welcome enquiries by telephone or email.
We provide an initial no obligation consultation from our offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Alternatively, we provide initial consultations by telephone or video conferencing.
Particularly active in high value financial fraud cases, with notable expertise in ‘boiler room’ cases
It is an outstanding firm in defending financial crime cases
Frequently represents high-profile individuals
Recognised for astute command of financial crime
When considering the division of assets between separating couples, the court has to consider a wide range of factors one of which being the contribution that each party has made to the welfare of the family. Panay Vassiliou of Kangs Solicitors now considers the...
It is often the case that the parties to a marriage or civil partnership are unable to agree financial settlement terms upon the dissolution of their relationship. In these circumstances, it will be necessary to issue court proceedings in order to seek a resolution to...
Kangs Solicitors has been instructed to defend a client charged with Conspiracy to Convey Prohibited Articles (A & B) into one of Her Majesty’s Prisons. Amandeep Murria of Kangs Solicitors outlines the relevant law. The team at Kangs Solicitors is highly...
It regularly occurs that grandparents feel that access to a grandchild(ren) is being unfairly denied, whatever the cause may be. The Family Law team at Kangs Solicitors is experienced in advising grandparents in disputes regarding residence and contact concerning a...
Kangs Solicitors has successfully defended at Stoke Crown Court a husband and wife charged with offences relating to the production of cannabis. Sukhdip Randhawa of Kangs Solicitors outlines the successful result which has been achieved. Kangs Solicitors has been...
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
Level 1, Devonshire House, One Mayfair Place
Mayfair, London, W1J 8AJ
020 7936 6396
76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH