Vat Investigation Defence London
Kangs Solicitors has been acting in high-profile white-collar crime investigations and prosecutions since 1997.
Recognised as a national leader in the field of criminal fraud defence, we are proud of our reputation and:
- both leading directories, the Legal 500 and Chambers UK, rank the firm in the highest categories for white collar fraud defence work
- the firm has won the Legal 500 award for ‘Criminal & Fraud Law Firm of the Year’
- Hamraj Kang, the founding solicitor of the firm, has won the Legal 500 award for ‘Individual Criminal & Fraud Solicitor of the Year’ as well as being ranked as a ‘star individual’ for many consecutive years by Chambers UK for his work in criminal fraud.
Call Our Vat Investigation Specialists For Advice
For over twenty years we have utilised our extensive resources, experience and skill to advise and represent clients in the largest fraud investigations and prosecutions.
Our team can be contacted for confidential advice and assistance as follows:
- 020 7936 6396 London
- 0121 449 9888 Birmingham
- 0161 817 5020 Manchester
- 07989 521 210 24 Hours Number
A proven track record of successfully defending white collar crime investigations and prosecutions by the major prosecuting authorities including:
- HMRC | SFO | FCA | BEIS
- Trading Standards | CPS | Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA)
- National Crime Agency (NCA) | UK Border Agency | Insolvency Service
- Competition & Markets Authority | Local Authorities
Our experience includes:
- SFO investigations – advising witnesses in relation to Section 2 Notices served on corporate bodies and individuals and representing suspects in relation to financial crime allegations
- attending Dawn Raids and providing clients with advice and assistance at their business premises while a search is conducted by investigating officers
- our 24/7 Rapid Response Team representing individuals in interviews under caution either following an arrest or by voluntary attendance
- acting in numerous multi-million pounds fraud investigations often with a significant international dimension
- working in foreign jurisdictions and engaging local professional advisers including lawyers, accountants and private investigators
- representing clients throughout the country in a wide range of fraud investigations from our offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester
- representation in court proceedings in conjunction with our long-established working relationships with the leading barristers and QCs in the country
- advising on issues of business continuity and reputational damage
- negotiating settlements with prosecuting authorities and advising on Deferred Prosecution Agreements (DPA)
Vat Fraud Investigation Specialists: Who Do We Act For?
Over the last twenty years we have acted for a diverse range of clients including:
- publicly listed companies including FTSE 100 PLCs
- private limited companies
- professionally qualified individuals including solicitors, accountants, financial executives and medical professionals
- company directors
- partnerships, LLPs and sole traders
- employees and other individuals
What Do We Do?
Missing Trader Intra Community (MTIC) VAT Fraud
We are nationally recognised for our significant expertise and experience in dealing with MTIC & VAT fraud cases, also known as carousel fraud, and have been involved in many of the leading cases in recent years.
Our extensive experience of such cases includes acting in some of the largest investigations and prosecutions ever undertaken by HMRC including:
- Operation Maypole – Operation Drive – Operation Lychee – Operation Dowel
- Operation Capri 2 – Operation Ghast – Operation Duma – Operation Capri 3
- Operation Fastback – Operation Vex – Operation Varlet – Operation Tulipbox
- Operation Elemi – Operation Develop – Operation Hayrick – Operation Gnawed
- Operation Vehicle – Operation Devout – Operation Vita
- Operation Dumpcart – Operation Forebear – Operation Janitor
We consider ourselves to be in a unique position as very few other firms have had conduct of such a number of MTIC and VAT fraud cases in recent years.
In addition to the above-mentioned MTIC investigations involving established products such as CPUs, mobile phones and other electrical goods, we have considerable experience in relation to allegations of MTIC and VAT fraud involving a variety of other commodities including luxury cars, carbon credits, metals, waste products and toiletries.
We also provide a full service to corporate and individual clients in relation to all civil aspects of VAT including advice in relation to VAT Assessments and representation at the Tax Tribunal.
Fraud Investigations & Prosecutions
For over two decades we have represented clients in a wide range of fraud investigations and prosecutions.
We have particular experience in conducting complex and often high-value cases involving the following areas:
- Money Laundering – Tax Evasion – Bribery & Corruption – Mortgage Fraud
- Conspiracy to Defraud – Duty Evasion & Diversion Fraud – Banking Fraud
- Insurance Fraud – Boiler Room Fraud – Ponzi Fraud – Pyramid Fraud
- Fraud on Major Commercial & Public Bodies – NHS Fraud
- Internet Fraud – Land Banking Fraud – Advance Fee Fraud – Pension Fraud
- Illegal Money Lending – Immigration Fraud – False Accounting
- Fraudulent Trading – Carbon Credit Fraud
Serious Fraud Office (SFO) Investigations
We have significant experience in acting for witnesses and suspects in relation to investigations by the SFO.
Our experience extends to representing multi-national corporations and individual company officers and executives.
We have considerable expertise in advising clients in relation to Notices served pursuant to Section 2 of the Criminal Justice Act 1987 (‘Section 2 Interview Notices’) and advising in relation to Section 2(3) Notices requiring the production of material to the SFO.
How We Can Help
Our expertise in relation to these cases extends from initial raid, arrest and interview to include what can quite often be a protracted investigation stage, through to the prosecution of the case and the subsequent trial.
We can assist you in the following manner:
- Advice and representation at dawn raids
- Representation at interviews under caution whether voluntary or under arrest
- Advice and representation in relation to a Section 2 Notice served by the SFO
- Deployment of our 24-hour Rapid Response Team
- Liaison and negotiation with the Prosecuting Authority
- Advice on Financial Restraint Orders and Cash Seizures
- Preparation of the defence case and representation in Court from the first hearing through to trial
We appreciate the importance of seeking advice as early as possible and our team is able to quickly and effectively deal with all ancillary matters associated with fraud investigations as detailed above.
For an analysis of the differences between criminal fraud and civil fraud, please click on this link to read a discussion article on the topic by the senior partner of Kangs Solicitors, Mr Hamraj Kang.
Who Can I Contact For Help?
Our expert 24/7 Rapid Response Police Station Team is here to assist you on 07989 521 210 should you require advice and assistance out of office hours.
Hamraj Kang leads an award-winning team of lawyers nationally recognised for its excellence and expertise in the area of white-collar crime investigations and prosecutions.
We welcome enquiries by telephone or email.
We provide an initial no obligation consultation from our offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Alternatively, we provide initial consultations by telephone or video conferencing.
“Kangs Solicitors is rated for the proactive, expert defence it provides to executives and high-net-worth individuals”
“It has an established reputation for its work in defending complex fraud allegations”
“It has a very strong team of lawyers who can rise to the challenges of the most complex fraud case”
“Recognised for astute command of financial crime”
“The team has substantial experience in multi-jurisdictional criminal and financial regulatory investigations”
“Particularly active in high value financial fraud cases, with notable expertise in boiler room cases”
“Noted expertise in Serious Fraud Office and HM Revenue & Customs cases”