A restaurant in Dunstable was recently fined more than £20,000 at Luton Magistrates’ Court after a customer discovered a cockroach in his pilau rice.
Amandeep Murria of Kangs Solicitors comments.
The Circumstances | Kangs Food Hygiene Solicitors
Following the complaint by the customer to Central Bedfordshire Council in April 2017, environmental health officers attended the restaurant and discovered:
- a build -up of dirt, grease and food debris was found in the pipework
- the skirting boards in the kitchen were so thick with grease and grime that the colour of them could no longer be seen
- there was a serious cockroach infestation which was not being treated
- there was no food safety management system in place.
As a consequence, a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice was served and the restaurant was shut immediately in order to protect the health of the general public.
The Court Proceedings | Kangs Food Safety & Hygiene Defence Solicitors
At the Hearing before the Luton Magistrates’ Court, the restaurant owner at the time pleaded guilty to six food safety offences and the Magistrates imposed:
- a very substantial fine of £20,970
- which included costs totalling £6,920 and a
- victim surcharge.
Councillor Ian Dalgarno was quoted to have said:
‘This sends a clear message to other food businesses that we will not tolerate businesses who flaunt hygiene rules.
We take food hygiene extremely seriously.”
How Can We Help? | Kangs Environmental Health Solicitors
As is clear from the case above, the Courts are not afraid to impose large fines in recognition of the serious threat to public health that unhygienic and unsafe operations pose.
Our specialist lawyers are able to provide advice and assistance throughout the entire criminal process.
Who Can I Contact For Help? | Kangs National Criminal Defence Solicitors
Please feel free to contact our team through either of our solicitors named below who will be happy to provide you with some initial advice and assistance.