Six defendants have recently been sentenced at Croydon Crown Court after defrauding vulnerable homeowners of more than four hundred and seventy thousand pounds for payment of bogus roof repairs.
The Prosecution was conducted by Croydon Council and National Trading Standards.
Amandeep Murria of Kangs Solicitors sets out the circumstances.
For an initial no obligation consultation, please telephone our team of lawyers at any of our offices detailed below:
The Circumstances | Kangs Regulatory Offences Defence Solicitors
- Between March 2016 and 2017, the defendants pressurised at least nineteen victims into paying for expensive roof repairs that were not necessary. The defendants frequently informed the homeowners that roof damage had been observed whilst they had been working on a neighbouring property.
- The homeowners, fearing the worst, had roof repairs not being undertaken, authorised the fictitious repairs to be carried out.
- As an example of the extent of the fraud, one homeowner paid twelve thousand two hundred and fifty pounds in March 2016 for roof and windows work that an expert witness valued at twenty eight pounds.
- Payment was taken by the fraudsters by way of cash, cheque or bank transfer which was laundered by three of the conspirators.
- Some of the fraudsters pleaded guilty and others were convicted after trial to a variety of offences as follows:
- conspiracy to conceal, disguise, convert and transfer criminal property,
- knowingly receiving the proceeds of crime into a bank account
Sentences Imposed | Kangs Trading Standards Solicitors
At the Sentencing Hearing at Croydon Crown Court on the 10 September 2020, the defendants received a range of sentences as follows:
- Immediate terms of imprisonment,
- Suspended prison sentences,
- Community Orders,
- Criminal Behaviour Orders,
- Financial Penalties.
Councillor Hamida Ali, Croydon Council’s cabinet member for safer Croydon was quoted as saying:
‘These were sickening crimes that preyed on the elderly and vulnerable and left them thousands of pounds out of pocket. Thanks to a superb investigation led by our trading standards team alongside national colleagues, these criminals have been stopped from defrauding even more people.’
How Can We Help? | Kangs National Regulatory Solicitors
The team at Kangs Solicitors has a wealth of experience and knowledge in dealing with Trading Standards Investigations and also all types of Regulatory matters.
- formulating a reply to Notices received by Trading Standards.
- advising on all Trading Standards issues generally.
- defending prosecutions of every nature brought by Trading Standards.
Who Can I Contact for Help? | Kangs National Trading Standards Defence Solicitors
Our team can be contacted through any of the following who will be happy to discuss your situation with you: