A Sample of Recent Work
John’s work encompasses considerable cross-over between regulatory, tax, criminal, civil and asset forfeiture legislation.
As such he is ideally placed to provide individual and corporate clients with a ‘fully rounded’ legal view considering both civil and criminal liability issues when dispensing advice.
A small sample of recent work includes:
- Numerous complex regulatory cases – Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Environment Agency, Food Safety, Fire Safety & FCA Investigations.
- Representation before the Football Association Independent Regulatory Commission on behalf of professionals in football.
- Acting for accountants, doctors and solicitors in relation to regulatory and criminal investigations.
- Acting in numerous Civil Tax Enquiries and Investigations conducted by HMRC including on behalf of various non-domiciled clients.
- Numerous large-scale VAT fraud cases ranging from VAT losses of £50 million to £182 million.
- Conducting numerous appeal proceedings before the Tax Tribunal including Kittel Notice and VAT Assessment appeals.
- Advisory work for corporate clients in relation to bribery & corruption, money laundering and proceeds of crime matters.
- Multi-million pounds Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA 2002) cases.
- Account Freezing Orders and Property Freezing Orders pursuant to POCA 2002.
- Multi-million pounds Insolvency Service ‘live company’ investigation involving overseas entities.
- Large scale multi-million pounds mortgage fraud investigations.
- Bribery & corruption investigations and prosecutions.
- Acting in a prosecution for gross negligence manslaughter.
- Acting in a FBI backed prosecution for attempted importation of IED.