Delighted Client | Unanimous ‘Not Guilty’ Verdict | Kangs Sexual Offences Defence Solicitors
Kangs Solicitors has successfully defended a client tried at Worcester Crown Court for alleged rape.
The trial, which concluded on 1 July 2021, has been reported in the press and can be followed on the following links:
Helen Holder reports on the excellent outcome achieved.
We have acted in many high-profile investigations such as the wide-ranging Metropolitan Police investigation ‘Operation Yewtree’.
Recognised as one of the leading criminal defence firms in the country, we are top ranked in Band 1 and Tier 1 for our work in this area by both the leading legal directories Chambers UK and the Legal 500.
Our reputation as a leading criminal defence firm is further recognised by recent awards including:
- Kangs Solicitors won the Legal 500 award for ‘Criminal Law Firm of the Year’
- The firm’s principal solicitor Hamraj Kang won the Legal 500 award for ‘Individual Criminal Solicitor of the Year’
We appreciate the strain on individuals and their families when facing allegations of a sexual nature and we are here to assist you to alleviate such difficulties and pressures.
Our team can be contacted for confidential and discrete advice as follows:
24 Hours Number
The Allegation | Kangs Sexual Offences Defence Team
Our client was charged with a single count of rape alleged to have occurred on the 27 October 2019 against his partner at the time who alleged that he had sexual intercourse with her without her consent.
The Law | Sexual Offences Advisory Solicitors
The Sexual Offences Act 2003 states:
(1) A person (A) commits an offence if:
(a) he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,
(b) B does not consent to the penetration, and
(c) A does not reasonably believe that B consents.
(2) Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all the circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents.
Our Client’s Defence | Kangs Serious Sexual Offences Defence Solicitors
Whilst our client never denied that sexual intercourse had occurred, he believed that it was taking place with consent of his then partner in accordance with all previous sexual activity within their relationship.
The law makes it clear that a jury should not find our client guilty if he had a reasonable belief that his partner was consenting.
How We Prepared Our Client For Trial | Kangs Crown Court Trial Solicitors
By way of preparation for Trial, the Team at Kangs Solicitors, inter alia:
- Critically analysed the Prosecution evidence and all associated documents
- Attended our client taking his instructions on all of the evidence served by the Prosecution and ascertaining his version of the circumstances
- Prepared our client’s detailed Proof of Evidence and advised him how to proceed with his defence,
- Obtained detailed Character References which supported our client
- Prepared and pursued all requisite procedural court applications including applying successfully to allow cross-examination regarding previous sexual behaviour under section 41 Youth Justice and Criminal Evidence Act
- Identified and instructed Counsel of the highest calibre, Robert Morris, and attended conferences with both our client and counsel preparing for trial
The Successful Hearing | Kangs Rape Defence Solicitors
The Trial began on Monday 28 June, and the Jury was presented with the Closing speeches on Wednesday afternoon.
The Jury retired on Thursday morning to consider its verdict and immediately returned to the court within ninety minutes to deliver a unanimous verdict of ‘Not Guilty’.
Needless to say, our client was absolutely delighted that the Jury had totally believed his innocence of the allegations made, as evidenced by the speed with which every member had reached a not guilty verdict, and which had created enormous stress and unhappiness in his life.
He is now able to rebuild his life freed of the fear of possible imprisonment and the stigma of being a sexual offender.
Who Can I Contact For Help? | Kangs National Criminal Offences Defence Solicitors
Our expert 24/7 Rapid Response Police Station Team is here to assist you on 0798 952 1210 should you require advice and assistance out of office hours.
We welcome enquiries by telephone or email.
We provide an initial no obligation consultation from our offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Alternatively, we provide initial consultations by telephone or video conferencing.
For Initial Enquiries Please Contact: