“Kangs has an excellent reputation. They care about their clients and go the extra mile for them”

Chambers & Partners

Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'

Adult Dependant Relatives Visa (‘ADR’) Solicitor

What Is An ADR?

An ADR allows British citizens and persons present and settled in the UK, including those granted refugee leave and Humanitarian Protection, to make a visa application for their elderly parents and grand-parents.

Prior to July 2012 it was possible to seek immediate settlement in the UK if the dependant was aged over sixty five, was wholly or mainly dependent and could meet certain maintenance and accommodation requirements.

The subsequent rules have removed the facility for such immediate settlement, and have introduced far more strenuous eligibility criteria.

What Are The Requirements?

For an ADR application to be successful a number of requirements must be met :

  • The parent or grandparent must be in need of long term personal care resulting from age, illness or disability,
  • The parent or grandparent must be unable to perform day to day tasks such as washing, dressing, cooking and cleaning and
  • The requisite care is not available in the country where they are living, either because it is not available and there is no person in the country where they are living who can reasonably provide it or it is available but not affordable.

The UK Sponsor must also show that he or she is able to provide adequate maintenance, accommodation and care without recourse to public funds.

The UK Sponsor must also sign a sponsorship undertaking confirming that responsibility will be accepted for providing care without relying on public funds for a period of at least five years.

This application must be made from outside the United Kingdom.

However, where the circumstances are extremely compelling and exceptional, it is possible to make an application from inside the UK under human rights law i.e. Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights and the successful applicants may be granted limited leave to remain.

How Can We Help?

If you are struggling to understand the complex immigration rules we are able to help, advise and action: our process will enable you to avoid unnecessary expenses and to take the stress and uncertainty out of your application.

At Kangs Solicitors we have an experienced team of immigration lawyers who regularly advise and assist clients with immigration status issues in the UK.

We have a proven track record of successfully advising and guiding clients through the immigration application and appeals process.

Latest News

Possible Immigration Amnesty | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Recently there have been talks about the granting of amnesty to illegal immigrants resident in the UK with the intent to legalise their status. Sharan Rupra, immigration law specialist at Kangs Solicitors comments upon amnesties generally.  Previous Amnesties | Kangs...

Some Post Brexit Considerations | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Sharan Rupra, Immigration Law specialist at Kangs Solicitors, comments upon the immediate position following BREXIT on 31st January 2020.  General The terms of the future relationship between the UK and EU following the transition period which is scheduled to end on...


2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ

0121 449 9888


9 Carmelite Street, City of London
London, EC4Y 0DR

020 7936 6396


76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH

0161 817 5020