“Kangs has an excellent reputation. They care about their clients and go the extra mile for them”

Chambers & Partners

Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'

Family Reunion Solicitor

If an asylum seeker’s application is successful, that applicant either becomes a refugee or is granted humanitarian protection with leave to remain in the UK for a period of five years.

At the conclusion of that five years period, application may be made for permanent residence which entitles the applicant to indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Family reunion is a process by which refugees can be reunited with their immediate ‘pre-existing family members’ i.e. those with whom the applicant was normally living before fleeing to the UK; also known as ‘pre -flight family’.

The applicant must have:

  • been recognised in the UK as a refugee but does not yet have British Citizenship
  • been granted five years humanitarian protection but does not yet have British Citizenship
  • come to the UK through the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

The Legislation

The 1951 United Nations Convention relating to the status of refugees and the 1967 Protocol provide the primary framework for international refugee protection where the right of refugees to ‘family’ and the government’s responsibility to ensure the unity of a refugee’s family following temporary disruption due to conflict or persecution were recognised.

The European Convention on Human Rights provides the framework for ensuring the rights and fundamental freedoms of individuals in the European signatory states.

Article 23 is concerned with the maintenance of family unity and establishes that qualifying family members are entitled to claim the rights set out in Articles 24 to 34, also reflected in Part 11 of the Immigration Rules.

Family Members Who Can Make An Application

Pre-flight family are primarily:

  • spouse/civil partner
  • unmarried or same sex partner
  • any child, under the age of 18, of a parent who is a refugee or beneficiary of humanitarian protection, or
  • any child of a relative whose family member is a refugee or beneficiary of humanitarian protection.

Latest News

EEA Residence Card Or Pre Settled Status? | Immigration Solicitors

EU Citizens who plan to live, work, or study in the UK are able to apply under the EEA Regulations 2016 or the EU Settlement Scheme in order to protect their rights throughout the transition period until 30th June 2021. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the...

Human Rights | Fee Waiver Policy | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Whilst the level of fees payable upon immigration applications continues to increase, there are opportunities in various instances where a waiver may be available. Sharan Rupra of Kangs Solicitors comments upon the situation. Potential Fees | Kangs Immigration...

Deportation | Successful Outcome | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

Kangs Solicitors has successfully assisted a client, who was a serving prisoner, achieve his desired deportation under the Early Removal Scheme (‘ERS’) back to his home country, being France, despite initial difficulties encountered with the Home Office. Cagin Husnu...

Proposed Changes To Immigration Rules | Kangs Immigration Solicitors

The Government has indicated that it intends to simplify the existing complicated and complex Immigration Rules. Sharan Rupra of Kangs Solicitors comments. The Present Situation | Kangs Immigration Legislation Advisory Team The Immigration Rules HC395, which were...

Registration Certificate Applications | Kangs Solicitors

A national of a country within the European Economic Area (EEA), or of Switzerland, has an automatic right to live, work and study in the UK. Whilst there is no legal requirement for an EEA national to obtain a Registration Certificate, possession of one assists as...

Post-flight family:

These are family members who did not form part of the immediate family unit before the asylum seeker fled their country and includes:

  • children who were conceived after the asylum seeker fled their country
  • adult dependent relatives,
  • other child relatives such as siblings, nieces or nephews

There is no Home Office fee applicable for family reunion applications.

How Can We Help? | Kangs Solicitors

If you are an asylum seeker or a person granted humanitarian protection in the UK, we can:

  • advise and guide you on all of the various applications available.
  • represent you with regard to any entry clearance application
  • advise upon all relevant law and procedural requirements
  • prepare all relevant documents and collate all the necessary supportive material
  • liaise with the Home Office and all relevant departments.

We have a proven track record of successfully advising and guiding clients through all immigration applications and appeals processes.


Mrs Sharan Rupra
07989 521 210 | 0121 449 9888 | 020 7936 6396


2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ

0121 449 9888


9 Carmelite Street, City of London
London, EC4Y 0DR

020 7936 6396


Pall Mall Court 61-67 King Street
Manchester, M2 4PD

0121 449 9888