Not Guilty Verdict | Cultivation of Cannabis
Kangs Solicitors has recently successfully defended a client, at York Crown Court, charged with the cultivation of cannabis.
Our client instructed us from the outset and we supported him at the police station, throughout the investigation stage and throughout his trial at the Crown Court.
John Veale of Kangs Solicitors explains how this result was achieved to the complete satisfaction and relief of our client.
Kangs Solicitors is rated as one of the best criminal law firms in the country being ranked in both the leading legal directories, Chambers UK and The Legal 500.
Our Team is led by Hamraj Kang who is recognised as a leading expert in the field of criminal law. He is ranked in the top tier by both the leading directories, The Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
Other members of the Team are ranked in The Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
For an initial no obligation discussion, please contact our team at any of the offices detailed
The Allegations | Kangs Drugs Offences Defence Solicitors
The Prosecution alleged that our client was extensively involved in the production of cannabis in a grow situated in out-houses on a farm. It was alleged that:
- outhouses had been rented from the farmer for this purpose,
- that the farmer, a co-defendant, had incriminated our client,
- our client had assisted in the setting up of the cannabis grow, converting the outhouses for the purpose,
- the operation was sophisticated, involving re-wiring, heating and ventilation systems being fitted and the rooms being lined with foil.
- our client’s fingerprints were found on the foil lining the rooms.
How We Assisted Our Client | Kangs Criminal Defence Solicitors
Our client strenuously denied being involved in the production of cannabis from the onset and maintained that there was an innocent explanation as to why his fingerprints could have been found on the foil at the scene.
At the interview under caution, a Prepared Statement was produced explaining the basis for our client’s defence against the allegations raised and which he would defend at the Crown Court.
In preparation for our client’s Trial before a Crown Court, the Team at Kangs Solicitors:
- obtained our client’s detailed instructions
- considered in detail the evidence served by the Prosecution
- advised our client upon his position and the appropriate manner in which to pursue his defence
- meticulously prepared our client’s defence ready for trial in the Crown Court
- attended to all requisite court procedures including successfully resisting an application by the Prosecution to adduce our client’s previous convictions before the jury
- identified and instructed appropriate counsel to defend our client at court
- attended all necessary meetings between client and counsel
The Successful Outcome | Kangs Drugs Conspiracy Defence Solicitors
Due to the Covid Pandemic, the matter was listed for trial on three occasions and throughout the three years wait for trial, our client was offered an opportunity to change his plea in order to resolve the issue and to encourage the prospect of a favourable sentence for such change of plea.
However, our client doggedly maintained his innocence and his intent to prove the same at court.
- following Counsel’s pursuit of further disclosure in relation to the forensic evidence, it became clear that there was no Scene of Crime Report in relation to the alleged presence of our client’s fingerprints,
- co-defendant’s Counsel also submitted representations objecting to failures in disclosure,
- as the result of such failures in disclosure, the Prosecution offered no further evidence, thereby terminating the prosecution, which resulted in ‘Not Guilty’ verdicts being entered on the Court Record.
Our client was delighted with the result and being freed of the stress and worry experienced for a considerable period of time given that, had he been convicted he would have faced a custodial sentence.
How to Contact Us | Kangs National Criminal Defence Solicitors
At Kangs Solicitors we understand the importance to a client of receiving expert advice from the onset of any investigation into allegations of criminal conduct and the pressure that being accused of a crime can bring.
Accordingly, the Team at Kangs Solicitors pays great attention to detail in respect to all aspects of preparation for trial and offers total commitment to each client in the pursuit of the best available result.
We provide initial no obligation discussion at our three offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Alternatively, discussions can be held virtually through live conferencing or telephone.