Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'
Trading Standards Solicitors
Our History & Reputation
Kangs Solicitors has a proven track record spanning over 20 years of successfully advising clients in relation to investigations and prosecutions brought by Trading Standards Teams throughout England and Wales.
We are proud of our reputation and:
- we are ranked in the top tier of criminal & fraud law firms by both the leading directories Chambers UK and the Legal 500 and recognised as one of the leading criminal defence firms in the country.
- we have been awarded ‘Criminal & Fraud Law Firm of the Year’ by the Legal 500.
- the firm’s founding solicitor Hamraj Kang has been awarded ‘Individual Criminal & Fraud Solicitor of the Year’ by the Legal 500.
- our team includes solicitors who are ranked as ‘star individuals’ in the leading directories for their work in criminal fraud cases.
Call Us For Advice
We have the resources, experience and skill to advise and represent clients in the largest Trading Standards investigations.
Our team can be contacted for confidential advice and assistance as follows:
- 020 7936 6396 London
- 0121 449 9888 Birmingham
- 0161 817 5020 Manchester
- 07989 521 210 24 Hours Number
We have a proven track record of successfully defending Trading Standards investigations and prosecutions and our experience includes:
- attending Dawn Raids and providing clients with advice and assistance at their business premises while a search is conducted by Trading Standards Officers
- our 24/7 Rapid Response Team representing individuals in interviews under caution either following an arrest or by voluntary attendance
- acting in several multi-million pounds Trading Standards cases including allegations of the manufacture and distribution of goods in breach of intellectual property rights (often counterfeit products) such as luxury goods including designer clothing, designer handbags, cosmetics and jewellery
- representing clients throughout the country in Trading Standards investigations from our offices in the City of London, Birmingham and Manchester
- investigations and prosecutions brought by Local Authority Trading Standards Departments
- investigations and prosecutions for Trading Standards offences brought by other prosecutors such as the Food Standards Agency and the Financial Conduct Authority
- advising on issues of potential reputational damage and business continuity.
Who Do We Act For?
We represent a wide range of clients including:
- corporate bodies including PLCs, private limited companies, LLPs, foreign companies and small companies
- company directors and shareholders
- sole traders
- other individuals.
What Do We Do?
Our team is experienced in advising and representing clients in a wide range of Trading Standards investigations including:
- High-pressure selling including boiler room operations
- Counterfeit goods
- Product safety and product recall
- Weights and measures
- Distance selling (consumer contract regulations)
- Product labelling and product description
- Under-age selling (breach of liquor licensing laws)
- Investigations and prosecutions under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008
- Food safety & food labelling
- Illegal Money Lending
The quality of the work and the advice is outstanding. The firm has considerable strength in depth…never failed to be impressed with their solicitors
They are a very skilled and talented team
They are very interested in doing the best for the client, which comes across very strongly
The extremely well-run, dedicated and professional team at Kangs Solicitors
An infringement of a trademark may, as well as being actionable in civil law as an intellectual property claim, amount to a criminal offence for which a prosecution may follow and, in the event of the defendant(s) being found guilty, the court will have to consider...
Modern day slavery appears to be on the increase and incidents are now frequently reported in the press. Exploitation of individuals appears in many forms and is frequently an element in drug dealing throughout the country in respect of the activities generally known...
Innocent third parties frequently find themselves involved in Confiscation Proceedings brought against a convicted defendant under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (‘POCA’) with the prospect of suffering financial loss. The Team at Kangs Solicitors enjoys a...
Harrow Crown Court has recently imposed sentences upon a couple, who pleaded guilty, to fraudulent trading involving a plumbing services scam. Kangs has a specialist team defending individual and corporate clients in Trading Standards investigations. Amandeep Murria...
In a recent article posted to this site entitled ‘HMRC to Receive New Powers’, we reported that Government was set to hand tax officials draconian new powers to pursue the claw back of hundreds of millions of pounds representing falsely claimed furlough and Covid-19...
What Are The Powers Of Trading Standards?
We appreciate that it can be a difficult time for a business or an individual subjected to a Trading Standards investigation and the difficulties can be compounded by the investigators having wide-ranging powers enabling them to:
- conduct undercover test purchases from your business posing as customers
- commence an investigation into your business based on a complaint from a customer
- attend at your business premises without notice
- seize your business records including computers, mobile phones and products
- interview people associated with the business
- when accompanied by the police, arrest any person associated with the business who they have reasonable grounds to suspect of committing offences
- issue formal warnings
- review any licences granted to the business
- issue criminal cautions
- interview personnel under caution at the police station or Trading Standards offices
- commence criminal prosecutions in the Magistrates’ Court and Crown Court
- instigate Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) proceedings to remove any criminal property/profit that may have been acquired as a result of the offences.
Our Approach To Trading Standards Cases
Our approach to Trading Standards investigations is built on our extensive experience of representing large, medium and small businesses for in excess of twenty years.
We can assist you in a number of ways:
Raid of Premises
If Trading Standards officers arrive at your business premises unannounced, please call our 24/7 Rapid Response Team on 07989 521210.
We can attend your premises at short notice while Trading Standards officers search for and uplift material. Our presence will ensure that your rights are protected and that the officers do not exceed their powers of search and seizure.
Early Defence Strategy
We can provide you with robust and well-informed advice at the start of a Trading Standards investigation and formulate a defence strategy for interviews under caution which personnel from the business may be required to attend.
Early expert advice and assistance can result in the appropriate protection for the business and individuals being put in place. The importance of this is highlighted by the potential for grave consequences on conviction including large financial penalties and fines, significant reputational damage and custodial sentences.
Interview Under Caution
We can represent you and other colleagues while you are interviewed under caution by Trading Standards or police officers. It is important not to attend an interview without legal representation.
In addition to protecting your interests during the interview, we will maintain a dialogue with the Trading Standards officers to explore a non-criminal resolution to the investigation. Trading Standards has alternative civil remedies available to it and as experienced solicitors we will look to explore these options on your behalf.
Protection Against Reputational Damage
We are acutely aware of the potential reputational damage to an individual or business particularly if the investigation escalates to a criminal prosecution which can be openly reported in the media.
Our aim is to move quickly and effectively in order to minimise the impact of adverse publicity and secure an early favourable resolution to the issues.
Representation in Court
If criminal proceedings are instigated, we have considerable experience representing clients in both the Magistrates’ Court and the Crown Court.
We have close working relationships with the leading barristers and QCs working in the field of Trading Standards law and we will ensure that the best possible representation is secured on our client’s behalf.
POCA & Confiscation Proceedings
Our POCA team is nationally recognised for its expertise in this highly specialised area of law.
Who Can I Contact For Help?
Our expert 24/7 Rapid Response Police Station Team is here to assist you on 07989 521 210 should you require advice and assistance out of office hours.
Hamraj Kang leads an award-winning team of lawyers nationally recognised for its excellence and expertise in the area of Trading Standards investigations and prosecutions.
We welcome enquiries by telephone or email.
We provide an initial no obligation consultation from our offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Alternatively, we provide initial consultations by telephone or video conferencing.
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
9 Carmelite Street,
London, EC4Y 0DR
020 7936 6396
76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH