The owner and manager of a Hampshire based restaurant were recently fined at Winchester Magistrates’ Court for a number of food hygiene breaches.
Amandeep Murria of Kangs Solicitors comments.
The Circumstances | Kangs Food Hygiene Offences Defence Solicitors
Food Safety Officers discovered the following:
- there were structural and poor drainage problems within specific areas of the restaurant,
- grease, dirt and debris were discovered on surfaces and cooking equipment,
- the restaurant bosses ignored repeated warnings from Food Safety Officers, who had previously recommended improvements which needed to be carried out.
The Court Proceedings | Kangs Food Safety & Hygiene Defence Solicitors
At the Hearing, the restaurant owner and manager pleaded guilty to a number of food hygiene offences and the Court imposed the following penalties:
- The restaurant owner and manager were collectively fined £2,767 and ordered to pay £8,995 in costs
- Surcharges of £231 were also imposed
After the hearing, Councilor Jackie Porter, was quoted to have said:
“Food businesses that repeatedly fail to comply with food safety standards will inevitably face prosecution as a final outcome. It is important that we ensure this legislation is followed and we will always seek to prosecute in cases like this where the safety of our residents is at risk. This council does not tolerate poor food hygiene standards and the consequences are very serious”.
How Can We Help? | Kangs Environmental Health Solicitors
As is clear from the case above, the Courts are not afraid to impose large fines in recognition of the serious threat to public health that unhygienic and unsafe operations pose.
Our specialist solicitors are able to provide advice and assistance throughout the entire criminal process.
Who Can I Contact For Help? | Kangs National Criminal Defence Solicitors
Please feel free to contact our team through any of our solicitors named below who will be happy to provide you with some initial advice and assistance.