Winner of the Legal 500 - 'Criminal, Fraud & Licensing Law Firm of the Year 2019'
"One of, if not the best, criminal specialist firms in the country" (Legal 500 | 2021 Edition)
Police Station Advice & Representation
We are recognised as one of the leading criminal defence firms in the country and we have been providing clients with advice, assistance and representation in police stations since the firm was established in 1997.
We are top-ranked for criminal investigation work in both the leading directories, the Legal 500 and Chambers UK.
In addition, we have been awarded ‘Criminal & Fraud Law Firm of the Year’ by the Legal 500 and the firm’s founding solicitor Hamraj Kang has won the Legal 500 award for ‘Criminal & Fraud Individual Solicitor of the Year’.
The Kangs 24-hour Rapid Response Police Station Team consists of ten highly trained and experienced solicitors with a proven track record of advising corporate and individual clients in relation to the full range of police station interviews including:
- serious and complex fraud
- tax and VAT evasion
- money laundering
- people trafficking
- murder and offences of violence
- drug possession, supply and trafficking
- sexual offences
- road traffic matters including death by dangerous or careless driving
Call Us For Advice
If you are contacted by the police or other investigating authority such as HMRC, SFO, FCA, CMA or Trading Standards and asked to attend a police station to be questioned, our team is here to assist you from our nationwide network of offices.
Please call our team for immediate advice and assistance:
- 07989 521 210 24 Hours Number
- 020 7936 6396 London
- 0121 449 9888 Birmingham
- 0161 817 5020 Manchester
Who Do We Represent?
We act for a wide range of clients including financial, medical and legal professionals, youths, company executives, sports and media personalities and private individuals.
A sample of recent work includes:
- Politician accused of sexual offences
- Accountant investigated for financial misconduct offences
- TV presenter accused of sexual offences
- Premier League footballer accused of driving offences
- Solicitor and Partner of national law firm facing allegations of fraud and misappropriation of funds
- Company director accused of evasion of VAT and excise duty
- Media personality accused of historic sexual offences
- Surveyor facing fraud allegations
- International cricketer accused of driving offences
- City professional accused of domestic violence
- European national accused of murder
- Premier League footballer accused of sexual offences
- Solicitor accused of multi-million pound fraud
- City professional accused of assault
- Company director accused of people trafficking
- International company facing cyber-crime allegations
When Can We Help You?
We can assist you in the following circumstances:
- If you have been contacted by the police or other investigating authority to attend an interview on a voluntary basis, we can liaise with the investigating officer on your behalf and represent you at the interview.
- If you have been arrested and taken to the police station, you are entitled to request legal advice and assistance. This can be done by you when you arrive at the police station or by a third party (friends or family) on your behalf. Our 24/7 Rapid Response Team is able to attend police stations nationwide at short notice.
- If you have already been interviewed, we can advise and assist if you have been charged, released pending investigation or released on police bail.
Interviews Under Caution
The police and other investigators can conduct an ‘interview under caution’ with an individual either on a voluntary basis or under arrest.
How Can We Help?
- We assist and represent individuals in need of urgent advice and support while under arrest and being detained in a police station.
- We provide representation to individuals who have been invited to attend an interview under caution by the police or any other investigating authority. Our expert advice and experience could be the difference between being arrested and being interviewed on a voluntary basis.
- An arrest can have a devastating impact on an individual’s reputation as well as professional life. It can also curtail the ability to travel abroad. In addition, an arrest will lead to DNA samples, photographs and fingerprints being taken and retained by the police. Our team is experienced in persuading the police to dispense with the need to arrest individuals and avoid the adverse consequences mentioned above.
- We appreciate that an arrest invariably takes place during ‘out of office’ hours, so our dedicated Rapid Response Team of lawyers is available 24/7 to represent clients in police stations.
- Our lawyers are very experienced. The legal advice at the interview stage can be crucial to the future outcome of the investigation. We will provide you with the right approach to answering questions in interview or to providing the police or investigators with information.
- We will seek disclosure of questions and information to be put to you in an interview and anticipate the matters likely to be raised in the interview.
- We will provide advice and guidance on whether you should answer questions or exercise your ‘right to silence’. Our team has considerable experience in assisting clients in these difficult situations and ensuring that the right decision is taken to safeguard the client’s best interests.
- We have a reputation for securing the best possible results for our clients. The initial advice provided at the interview under caution stage is key to achieving this result.
- The right advice can be the difference between being charged and prosecuted for an offence or being released without charge. It can be the difference between a conviction and an acquittal if the matter proceeds to court.
- If the matter proceeds to court, our serious crime team has a proven track record of defending clients in both the Magistrates’ Court and the Crown Court.
Search & Seizure Powers
Usually at the time of making an arrest, police officers and investigators will enter and search business and residential premises in accordance with a search warrant.
The powers extend to:
- Seizure of material including hard copy documents, computers, electronic data, mobile telephones, hard drives and back up storage units.
- Forensic experts forming part of the team of investigators downloading and copying electronic material on site thereby allowing the business to retain the hardware.
How Can We Help?
Seeking early advice and assistance is vitally important. Our Team is experienced in attending such searches and protecting the rights of corporate and individual clients whilst the investigators conduct their work.
We can assist by:
- attending numerous locations simultaneously to cover all premises affected by the search warrants
- checking the legality and validity of the search warrant at the outset and advising you accordingly
- remaining present throughout the search process to ensure the investigators do not exceed the power granted by a court warrant
- ensuring that the unnecessary seizure of material is prevented thereby causing our client minimum disruption
- liaising with the investigators on your behalf before, during and after the search
- where appropriate, asserting legal professional privilege or confidentiality in relation to certain material and preventing its disclosure to the investigators
- making representations to the investigators to ensure the search and seizure of material is conducted within their appropriate powers and the scope of the search/seizure is lawful
- attending a closing meeting with the investigators at the conclusion of the search
- providing advice on managing ongoing reputational damage issues.
Who Can I Contact For Help?
Our expert 24/7 Rapid Response Police Station Team is here to assist you on 07989 521 210.
Hamraj Kang leads an award-winning team of lawyers nationally recognised for its excellence and expertise in the area of criminal investigations.
We welcome enquiries by telephone or email.
We provide an initial no obligation consultation from our offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
Alternatively, we provide initial consultations by telephone or video conferencing.
Kangs Solicitors fields a first-rate team that continues to attract serious criminal cases nationwide, from murders to multi-million pound conspiracies and people trafficking cases. There is frequently an international element to these cases
Kangs Solicitors has successfully represented a client before Guildford Crown Court who wished to obtain the variation of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order which was imposed in October 2015. Helen Holder of Kangs Solicitors reports on the circumstances. The Circumstances...
It has always been the case that the Insolvency Service is only able to investigate Directors of current companies or companies which have entered formal insolvency. At present, the Insolvency Service is unable to investigate directors of companies that have been...
The Novel Food (England) Regulations 2018 (‘the Regulations’) are designed to protect the public from the potential dangers of new or unusual food that enters the market by ensuring that it is safe for consumers, properly labelled so as not to mislead and, if intended...
Dishonest Conduct | Substantial Change To The Test Of Dishonesty | Kangs Criminal Defence Solicitors
Since the case of R v Ghosh  3 WLR 110, the test for dishonesty, which the Prosecution was required to meet when seeking the conviction of a Defendant, could be summarised as: ‘a jury must first of all decide whether according to the ordinary...
In a previous article posted to this website entitled ‘HMRC | Joint and Several Liability Notices’, we outlined the extent to which HMRC is entitled to recover company debt in a situation where there are two or more directors, by making them joint and severally...
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
Level 1, Devonshire House, One Mayfair Place
Mayfair, London, W1J 8AJ
020 7936 6396
76 King Street
Manchester, M2 4NH