A trader was recently sentenced at Warwick Crown Court having pleaded guilty to one count of fraud.
The trader, Paul Raybone (‘Mr Rabone’), was said to have bullied an elderly and vulnerable couple into agreeing to pay over £11,000 for work to the roof of their home, which they had not agreed to.
Nazaqat Maqsoom of Kangs Solicitors outlines the case.
The Circumstances | Kangs Trading Standards Defence Team
- Mr Raybone visited the couple’s home to investigate a slight water leak which they had discovered in their roof.
- The Court heard that Mr Raybone exaggerated the amount of work required and bullied the couple into spending £11,600 on repairs that they had not asked for.
- Warwickshire County Council Trading Standards were alerted following intervention by the couple’s bank.
- Mr Raybone failed to advise the couple of their statutory right to cancel the contract, refused to provide a written quote until the work was completed, produced an invoice in the name of a company which did not exist and which displayed trade accreditations to which he was not entitled.
- Trading Standards Officers discovered that the work carried out was:
- partly unnecessary
- done to a poor standard and
- vastly overcharged.
- Although Mr Raybone was instructed not to make direct contact with the elderly couple, he returned and demanded money, having previously threatened to remove material from their roof if he was not paid.
The Sentencing | Kangs Criminal Defence Team
On the 9th December 2018, Mr. Raybone having previously pleaded guilty to one count of Fraud, was:
- sentenced to twelve months imprisonment,
- disqualified as a company director for five years and
- ordered to pay the complainants £1,000.
His Honour Judge Potter stated that Mr. Raybone had deliberately frightened the couple and had not considered how his bullying and aggressive behaviour would impact upon them.
How Can We Help? | Kangs Criminal Defence Solicitors
Trading Standards constantly and vigorously pursue prosecutions in the criminal courts.
It is very important that you obtain legal advice at the earliest opportunity to ensure that your position is protected as far as is possible.
Our team of solicitors has a proven track record of assisting many individuals and businesses achieve the best available result following such investigations. We can advise you and your business in relation to such allegations and can represent you at all stages from the initial interview to trial.
Who Should I Contact? | Kangs National Criminal Defence Solicitors
Please do not hesitate to contact our team through any of our below mentioned solicitors who will be pleased to provide you with an initial free consultation.