Hamraj Kang, who was admitted as a solicitor in 1996, is a director of the firm.
He has more than twenty years experience defending complex fraud, serious crime and regulatory cases throughout the country.
Hamraj is ranked in the highest category for individual lawyers (Band 1) by leading Law Directories, Legal 500 and Chambers UK in the following categories of work:
- Financial Crime
- Proceeds of Crime (POCA) | Asset Forfeiture
Star Individual Award
Hamraj is one of only two solicitors in England & Wales ranked as a ‘Star Individual’ in the Chambers & Partners Directory for his work in the field of financial crime and fraud.
He has achieved this recognition for an unprecedented four consecutive years (2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019).
What the Legal Directories say:
Chambers & Partners | 2019 Edition
- Star Individual – Hamraj Kang is hailed for his comprehensive expertise in financial crime cases, including fraud and money laundering matters.
- Sources describe him as “very thoughtful and astute,” adding that “there is little he does not know in the area of fraud work.”
- He is widely renowned for his criminal defence practice, which includes significant expertise in POCA and asset forfeiture matters.
- Sources describe him as a “fantastic legal brain”and also add: “He handles the largest confiscation cases with great flair and style. Clients value his clear thinking and technical brilliance.”
Legal 500 | 2018 Edition
- Managing partner Hamraj Kang leads the practice and ‘demands and provides the highest standards of service to his clients’ and is ‘a well-respected and sought after solicitor who retains a down to earth attitude to his colleagues and clients.’
- Hamraj Kang leads the practice and is ‘an exceptional lawyer’ and ‘a true role model for his staff.’
- Hamraj Kang heads the team, he is ‘a master of white-collar crime and fraud work’ and is ‘a very dedicated individual and superbly talented in defending complex fraud cases’.
Chambers & Partners | 2018 Edition
- “A great lawyer and a great team leader – you would want him on your side”
- “Hamraj Kang has developed an unprecedented reputation in the Midlands for white-collar and financial crime.”
- “He offers deep experience in handling MTIC proceedings before HMRC, as well as tax fraud matters more broadly”
- “A leading figure who is unquestionably at the top of his game in every respect”
- “Hamraj Kang is an expert in fraud and serious criminal cases”
- “He is a very experienced and dedicated lawyer who has worked on many of the largest confiscation cases in the country in recent years”
- “He has a natural rapport with clients”
- “He has the ability to provide clients with a clear road map in even the most difficult cases”
Legal 500 | 2017 Edition
- “The leader of the pack when it comes to criminal fraud work”
- “Hamraj Kang – the doyen of complex fraud work”
- “Clients single out Hamraj Kang as charismatic; he is a superbly clever lawyer and key player”
- “Team head Hamraj Kang is a brilliant strategic thinker with a razor-sharp eye for case preparation”
Chambers & Partners | 2017 edition
- “Hamraj Kang receives glowing praise from interviewees, who describe him as a genuinely talented lawyer who is passionate about his work.”
- “Hamraj Kang is recognised for his astute command of financial crime and POCA work.”
- “He is great to talk to, very down to earth and realistic about a case.”
- “He will tell the client what the odds are, giving both good and bad news so they can make an informed decision.”
Legal 500 | 2016 Edition
- “Kangs Solicitors’ head of practice Hamraj Kang is a ‘top-class operator’ and has defended a number of private clients in high-profile cases nationwide involving money laundering and tax evasion charges.”
- “Practice head Hamraj Kang is both an astute businessman and a great tactician”
- “Hamraj Kang, who ‘has a superb grasp of complex and demanding cases’, heads the team at Kangs Solicitors”
Legal 500 | 2015 Edition
- “Hamraj Kang is a giant in this field of work and a forceful and fearless litigator”
- “Team headed by the superb Hamraj Kang”
Chambers & Partners | 2015 Edition
- “He has great rapport with his clients, is technically astute and takes time to explain matters with care and consideration”
- “Hamraj Kang is a stand out lawyer…his technical knowledge is impressive combined with his passion for client care”
- “Kangs has a team of POCA lawyers with considerable experience and strength in depth. The high-quality multi million pound work that the firm is regularly instructed in is indicative of the high-quality lawyers that work in the team”
- “Kangs provides high-quality advice to individual defendants in connection with confiscation proceedings and restraint orders. The team is well versed in representing clients before the Court of Appeal, Crown Court and ECHR”
- “Hamraj Kang is a standout lawyer for POCA work. His technical knowledge is impressive combined with his passion for client care”
Chambers & Partners | 2014 Edition
- “He is a very astute tactician who strives hard to win cases for his clients”
- “A man of considerable experience, with an excellent reputation for knowing the ins and outs of a criminal fraud case”
- “Hamraj is very good at putting the client at ease and talking them through the procedure”
- “Sources praise Hamraj Kang as a ‘serious professional’ with a ‘tremendous wealth of contacts’. He offers clients a wealth of experience in the criminal law and related fraud work.”
- “Fantastic senior partner and founder of Kangs Solicitors Hamraj Kang focuses his practice on substantial fraud cases. He recently acted for a defendant in relation to a much reported construction fraud prosecution.”
Legal 500 | 2014 edition
- “Hamraj Kang is noted for his very sharp legal brain”
Legal 500 | 2013 Edition
- “Hamraj Kang is a shrewd tactician and very experienced”
Chambers & Partners | 2012 edition
- “Hamraj Kang ‘has a nationwide reputation in white-collar crime’ due in part to his ‘natural empathy with clients’ and his ‘hard work that is second to none.’ He has particular expertise in high-value MTIC fraud cases.”
Legal 500 | 2012 edition
- “London-based Hamraj Kang has a ‘sharp legal brain’, and is experienced in white-collar crime and serious fraud cases”
Chambers & Partners | 2012 edition
- “Hamraj Kang is lauded for the strength of his client care”
- “Head of department for serious crime Hamraj Kang is also known for his work in fraud. Sources are keen to emphasise his abilities in handling a broad spectrum of serious crime such as technically complex murder cases”
- “Hamraj Kang has the ability to win clients’ confidence almost immediately due to his experience, technical knowledge and personality”
Fraud | White Collar Crime Work
Hamraj founded the firm and set up it’s first Birmingham Office in 1997. He specialises in criminal fraud work (particularly HMRC prosecutions such as MTIC / Money Laundering / VAT fraud / Duty Evasion) and regularly conducts cases throughout the country. There are few solicitors nationally who can match Hamraj’s experience of complex multi-million pound MTIC/VAT cases as he has been instructed in approaching 100 such cases in recent years. In addition to the above, Hamraj is regularly instructed in relation to a wide array of fraud cases such as:
- SFO Investigations & Prosecutions including Section 2 interviews
- Carbon Credit Fraud (including the first ever prosecution for this offence in 2012, resulting in the client’s acquittal)
- Banking Fraud
- Mortgage Fraud
- Boiler Room Fraud
- Money Laundering
- Revenue Fraud (direct tax and indirect tax)
- Duty Evasion / Diversion Fraud
- Long Firm Fraud
- Advance Fee Fraud
- Ponzi Scheme Fraud
- Insider Trading & Market Offences
- Bribery & Corruption
- Proceeds of Crime Act Offences
- Immigration Fraud
- Pyramid Fraud
As a result of working on high profile and complex fraud cases, Hamraj’s client base is both national and international ranging from PLCs to owner-managed businesses. He regularly travels on business to overseas jurisdictions and has conducted work in numerous overseas territories.
Disciplinary & Sports Law | Regulatory Work
Hamraj has represented a number of fellow professionals who have faced criminal and regulatory allegations including accountants, solicitors, doctors, dentists and pharmacists. As a result, he has developed an excellent understanding of the varying regulatory regimes and codes of professional conduct that govern these professions.
In recent years, Hamraj has successfully represented a number of solicitors in serious criminal fraud cases and achieved their acquittal which has resulted in a successful outcome in terms of any SRA proceedings.
Hamraj has represented many individuals from across the sporting world (football, cricket, horse racing, boxing) and is regularly instructed by a number of leading Premier League and Championship Football Clubs.
Serious Criminal Work
In addition to serious fraud work, Hamraj also undertakes the most serious criminal cases and he is regularly instructed on complex murders, international drugs trafficking cases, international people smuggling / human trafficking, perverting the course of justice and counterfeiting cases.
Hamraj has also undertaken numerous cases involving allegations of a sexual nature, often acting on behalf of individuals who are well known or connected to public office. All such cases are dealt with very sensitively and complete discretion is assured.
Hamraj is available to meet with clients at any of the offices of Kangs in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
The Environment Agency and HMRC has identified twenty-seven waste sites potentially operating illegally in the UK following visits to many sites in Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire and Leicestershire. Fergus Harrington of Kangs Solicitors comments upon...
Kangs Solicitors has enabled a client charged with robbery and possession of an offensive weapon to retain his liberty. Nazaqat Maqsoom of Kangs Solicitors reports upon the circumstances. The Circumstances | Kangs Criminal Defence Solicitors Our client was one...
Kangs Solicitors has successfully protected the liberty of a client who was facing imprisonment arising from serious breaches of the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations. Sukhdip Randhawa of Kangs Solicitors reports upon the circumstances. The Circumstances | Kangs...
Kangs Solicitors, in association with Intelligence Forums, are proud to present a talk at our London offices this evening featuring three distinguished speakers: The Right Honourable Lord Teverson is a Liberal Democrat politician, and his main focus in the Chamber is...
‘White Collar’ crime is a generic term used to describe crime which: generally, is not associated with physical violencederives from historical assumption that clerical and administrative workers and business executives wear white collared shirts involves financial...
2 Wake Green Road, Moseley
Birmingham, B13 9EZ
0121 449 9888
9 Carmelite Street, City of London
London, EC4Y 0DR
020 7936 6396
Pall Mall Court 61-67 King Street
Manchester, M2 4PD