Client Retains His Liberty | Kangs Tax Fraud Solicitors
Kangs Solicitors client appeared before Warwick Crown Court charged with ten counts of fraudulent evasion of Income Tax by submitting incorrect self- assessment tax returns for the tax years 2008-2016.
The Circumstances | Kangs Tax Fraud team
In addition to submitting incorrect self-assessment returns, our client also failed to declare income received for a short period from his company.
Submission of the fraudulent tax returns also resulted in our client receiving repayments from HMRC of a sum which would normally result in the court passing an immediate custodial sentence.
The evidence against our client was overwhelming, he co-operated with the authorities from the outset and entered a plea of guilty.
How Were We Able To Help? | Defending VAT & Income Tax Cases
By way of preparation of our client’s mitigation to the court explaining his conduct we were heavily involved in:
- Discussing in detail the events and taking our client’s full and thorough instructions.
- Obtaining supportive reference letters/statements from our client’s friends, associates and employers for the consideration of the Court.
- Choosing and instructing a forensic accountant to provide an informative report to assist in the preparation of our client’s case.
- Obtaining medical evidence which assisted understanding of our client’s problems
- Identifying suitable Counsel to present our client’s mitigation to the court and instructing him in detail.
The Sentencing Hearing | Defending HMRC Tax Cases
As the result of the thorough preparation outlined above, our client received a sixteen months prison sentence which was suspended for two years, despite the anticipation that an immediate custodial sentence was a real threat.
The court also imposed on our client requirements for unpaid work, supervision and for a short period of time, a curfew.
Naturally, our client was delighted to walk from the court with his liberty intact.
How Can We Help You? | Kangs Financial Fraud Team
Our team is available to assist you and can be contacted through any of the following: