Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 | Kangs Criminal Defence Solicitors
The Psychoactive Substances Act 2016, (‘the Act’), which came into force in May 2016, is designed to prevent the supply of drugs, colloquially known as `legal highs’ or designer drugs, such as Mamba, for example.
What Are ‘Legal Highs’? | Kangs Legal Highs Defence Solicitors
Legal highs, officially described as psychoactive substances, are drugs that contain chemical ingredients, some of which are illegal while others are not.
Sold in a variety of presentations including powder, capsules, liquids, perforated tabs and pills, they have been responsible for deaths and hospital admissions on a growing number of occasions.
Their varied effects include energising, relaxing and hallucinating and, as the chemicals used have not been tested for safety, users cannot be sure what the effects of any particular drug will be.
The Act | Kangs National Legal High Drug Advisors
The Act provides that the production, distribution, sale and supply of legal highs is now an offence.
However, possession of a psychoactive substance is not an offence, save in places of custody, such as prisons and young offender centres.
Penalties under The Act | Kangs Drugs Offences Defence Solicitors
- Possession in a custodial institution can result in a sentence of up to 2 years and/or a fine.
- Possession with intent to supply; supply/offer to supply; production; importation /exportation can result in a sentence of up to 7 years and/or a fine.
- Drug-driving after using a legal high, is illegal and carries various penalties.
How Can We Help? | Kangs Solicitors Criminal Defence Solicitors
We have a proven track record of successfully defending drugs offence prosecutions including:
- Importation cases
- National and International drugs conspiracy cases
- Possession with intent to supply cases
- Cultivation cases
- Manufacturing of controlled drugs cases
- Money laundering associated with drugs offences
Recent Cases Involving Drugs Offences | Kangs Drugs Defence Team
A sample of recent work undertaken by our department in this field can be found by following the links below:
- Two cleared on all charges | Major Drugs Conspiracy | Kangs Solicitors
- Success in Multi-Million pound drugs conspiracy | Trial
- Drugs Importation | Success at Worcester Crown Court
- Major Drug Trial | Client found ‘Not Guilty’
Contact Us | Kangs National Criminal Defence Solicitors
If you require any advice or assistance relating to drugs offences, matters in which you require representation, please feel free to contact our Team through any of the following: