Gross Negligence Manslaughter | Director Imprisoned | Kangs Solicitors Regulatory and Director Disqualification Solicitors
On Friday 26th October 2018 Craig Williams was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court to three years and four months imprisonment following the sad death of a seven months old baby.
The Circumstances | Kangs Regulatory and Director Disqualification Team
- the sad death resulted from the baby getting caught within the frame of the bed designed, manufactured and supplied by Williams.
- Williams was charged with gross negligence manslaughter, which he denied , and during the course of his Trial the Prosecution agreed to accept a plea to an offence of breaching section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
- following the baby’s death, Trading Standards issued a Cease and Desist Warning to stop the manufacture and supply of the beds.
- however, it appeared that Williams failed to comply and continued to trade through a different entity.
- the court sentenced him to 19 months imprisonment in respect of the guilty plea to the section 3 offence and 21 months for fraud to run consecutively, making a total of 3 years and 4 months imprisonment.
- Williams was also disqualified from holding the office of company director for a period of 10 years.
The Relevant Law | Kangs Criminal Law Advisory Team
Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 at section 3 states:
“It shall be the duty of every employer to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that persons not in his employment who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety.”
How Can We Help You? | Kangs Regulatory and Director Disqualification Solicitors
Kangs Solicitors defend companies and individuals charged with the most serious of crimes throughout the country on a daily basis.
In order to defend serious allegations you require a legal team with specialist knowledge and the skills to be able to represent you to achieve the very best possible outcome.
We have extensive experience of dealing with cases investigated and prosecuted by all the major prosecuting authorities such as the SFO, FCA, HMRC, CPS, Trading Standards, Environment Agency, Food Standards Agency etc.
Who Can I Contact For Help? | Kangs National Criminal Defence Solicitors
If you are an individual or a company, we are here to assist you manage your contact with the prosecuting authority and advise you throughout any investigation and subsequent criminal proceedings.
Our team of solicitors has a proven track record assisting individuals and businesses facing the prospect of these criminal proceedings.
Our expert team of Solicitors can be contacted through the following: