Seeking Trading Standards Guidance | Kangs Trading Standards Advice Solicitors
Kangs Solicitors Regulatory Team have been instructed by two company directors to review the business practices and sales operations of their company (‘the company’) in order to advise them on Trading Standards compliance.
The company sells heating systems powered by renewable energy. Potential customers are contacted by telephone and an appointment is made for a sales representative to attend the customer’s home to discuss the product with a view to negotiating a potential sale.
How We Will Assist Our Clients | Kangs Trading Standards Solicitors
Trading Standards oversee compliance with consumer protection laws in a vast range of business practices.
Businesses can receive visits from Trading Standards with little or no notice and it is essential that they have the correct compliance controls in place.
Not only does this reduce the risk of enforcement action against a business, it also ensures high standards of practice within a business.
Accordingly we will:
- meet our clients and discuss in detail the nature of their business and its modus operandi
- consider all aspects of Trading Standards Regulations which affect or may affect the company’s business
- visit the company’s premises and conduct a detailed review of all aspects of its business
- discuss with our clients the results of our investigation highlighting any areas where their operation may fall short of the regulatory requirements or where previously unrecognised issues need to be addressed in order to render the company fully compliant.
- assist our clients in implementing an agreed course of action.
Trading Standards Prosecutions | Kangs Trading Standards Defence Solicitors
Many trading organisations at all levels either fail to be aware of the regulatory requirements demanded of their trading activities or comply with them.
Trading Standards constantly and vigorously pursue prosecutions in the criminal courts which are initiated by the Office of Fair Trading in conjunction with the relevant local authority regulatory body for Trading Standards.
Trading Standards Officers investigate consumer complaints and enforce legislation relating to the protection of consumers in order to prevent Unfair Trading and they cover a wide range of areas including:
- Weights and Measures
- Counterfeit goods
- Advertising and sales
- Trade Descriptions
- Product Safety and Recall
- Unfair commercial practices
- Trademark infringement
- Consumer contract regulations
- Fraudulent activity
Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading | Relevant Legislation
The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (2008) are wide reaching and place a duty on traders not to engage in unfair commercial practices such as:
- disproportionate mark ups
- high pressure selling
- false discounting
- falsely claiming a product is only available for a limited time
Who Should I Contact For Help? | Kangs Regulatory Advice Solicitors
If you require advice and guidance of any nature in relation to your business practices involving Trading Standards please contact us and we can assist at all stages of any investigation including following arrest by the police as part of a Trading Standards investigation.
We are available to meet at any of our offices in London, Birmingham or Manchester.
We have a proven track record in dealing with the matters of the above nature and we welcome you contacting our team of lawyers through the following: