Kangs Solicitors has been representing a client in the defence of Confiscation Proceedings brought under the Proceeds Of Crime Act 2002 (‘POCA’) in which the Prosecution sought to recover the sum of £1.2 million pounds from her.
The Circumstances | Kangs POCA Defence Team
- Our client pleaded guilty to an allegation of Money Laundering on a limited basis in July 2018 and had received a suspended sentence.
- Under POCA the Prosecution instigated confiscation proceedings and carried out an extensive financial investigating into our client’s financial circumstances.
- The Prosecution maintained that the ‘benefit’ to our client arising from his criminal activity was in the region of £2.5 million.
- The Prosecution sought to recover the sum of £1.2 million from our client, alleging that she had access to substantial ‘hidden assets’.
How We Assisted Our Client | Kangs National POCA Defence Experts
- Kangs team analysed in detail the comprehensive material served by the Prosecution.
- Detailed instructions were taken from our client leading to the preparation and service of comprehensive legal documents challenging the assumptions upon which the Prosecution relied.
- Our client was advised in detail upon all aspects of the complicated law attaching to Confiscation Orders.
The Successful Outcome | Kangs National POCA Proceedings Solicitors
- Comprehensive negotiations were conducted with the Prosecution during which the mistaken beliefs upon which the calculations were put forward were highlighted.
- As the result of the detailed representation put forward by the Kangs team, the Prosecution agreed to a Confiscation Order in which the ‘available amount’ to our client to discharge the debt was fixed at £250,000.
- This reduction from the Prosecution claim for £1.2 million provided a tremendous relief to our client who was extremely grateful for the result achieved on her behalf.
How Can We Assist | Kangs POCA Defence Solicitors
At Kangs, we have a dedicated team specialising in Confiscation, POCA, Restraint and Asset Forfeitures and all associated financial situations and we are happy to provide clients and fellow professionals with an initial no obligation consultation.
Should you require assistance and guidance in respect of any such Orders, please do not hesitate to contact us immediately.
Please feel free to contact our team through any one of the following: