Kangs Solicitors has successfully represented a client by obtaining a variation to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (‘SHPO’) which was ordered at Croydon Crown Court in 2017.
Helen Holder of Kangs Solicitors reports on the circumstances.
The Circumstances | Kangs Sexual Offences DefenceTeam
- Our client was seeking to vary the SHPO which required equipment to be installed to his internet enabling his activity to be monitored by the police.
- Monitoring software cannot be installed on smart phones such as an IPhone.
- The SHPO was ordered to run indefinitely contrary to directions of the Court of Appeal.
The Law | Kangs Criminal Law Advisory Team
- Section 103E of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 provides that a defendant may apply to vary, renew or discharge a SHPO.
- The minimum term for a SHPO is five years and it must be necessary to protect:
(a) the public or any particular members of the public from sexual harm from the defendant, or
(b) children or vulnerable adults generally, or any particular children or vulnerable adults, from sexual harm from the defendant outside the UK.
How We Assisted Our Client | Kangs SHPO Variation Solicitors
- Detailed instructions
were taken from our client upon his requirement for business purposes for
internet access from his smart phone.
- Lengthy negotiations were conducted with the Offender Management Unit which resulted in draft prohibitions being agreed.
- However, the Offender Management Unit maintained that the amended SHPO should run for ten years, with which period we disagreed.
- A comprehensive Application together with all necessary supporting documents was prepared and lodged with the Court and Prosecution.
The Successful Result | Kangs Solicitors SHPO Variation Team.
- Having considered all submissions, the Judge directed that the length of SHPO should be seven years.
- Kangs Solicitors was praised by the Judge for the fullness of the written application and bundle carefully compiled on behalf of our client.
Delighted Client | Kangs National Criminal Defence Solicitors
The client was pleased with the result and commented that Helen Holder had provided a ‘proactive approach and excellent communication throughout.’
He further commented that ‘choosing the right solicitor is an arduous task but it was clear that Kangs was the way to go.’
How Can We Help? | Kangs Sexual Offences Defence Solicitors
Arrangements can be made to meet at any of our offices in Birmingham, London and Manchester.
Please feel free to contact our team through any of the following who will be happy to speak to you and guide you: