Following his article ‘Allegations of Historic Sexual Offences’, Nazaqat Maqsoom of Kangs Solicitors identifies the nature of such offences.
Nature Of Historic Sexual Offences | Kangs Criminal Advisory Solicitors
These offences are reported and charged at any time after the alleged incident and the passage of time is not a factor that affects the Crown Court Prosecution Service decision as to whether or not a charge should be brought.
The police are under a duty to investigate all aspects of allegation made.
In the past, both the Crown Prosecution Service and the Police have been heavily criticized for the way in which they have handled such cases and brought them to prosecution with the result that there has recently been a substantial increase in the number of people charged.
Examples of Historic Offences under the Sexual Offences Act 1956 include:
- Rape (section 1)
- Buggery with a person or animal (section 12)
- Indecent assault on a woman (section 14)
- Indecent assault on a man (section 15)
- Sexual intercourse with a girl under 13 (section 5)
- Incest by a male (section 10)
- Incest by a female (section 11)
- Gross indecency (section 13)
- Procurement of a woman by threats (section 2)
- Procurement by false pretences (section 3)
- Causing prostitution of women (section 22)
- Living on earnings of prostitution (section 30)
- Controlling a prostitute (section 31)
Other legislation also creates offences such as:
- Offences of indecent images – taking indecent photographs of a child (section 1 Protection of Children Act 1978 )
- Indecency with a child (section 1 Indecency With Children Act 1960)
- Trafficking into/within/out of the UK for Sexual Exploitation (sections 57-59 Sexual Offences Act 2003)
These offences are treated extremely seriously with those convicted facing a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.
It is, therefore, essential that anyone being investigated for allegations of offences of this nature seek immediate expert legal advice.
How We Can Help | Kangs Sexual Allegation Defence Lawyers
At Kangs Solicitors our Sexual Allegations Defence Team has a wealth of experience in dealing with such cases and has worked with high profile celebrity clients including involvement in operations such as the wide-ranging Metropolitan Police Investigation Operation Yewtree.
Kangs Solicitors enjoys a national reputation for providing a personal service of unrivalled quality and are regularly instructed to represent individuals that are charged with Historic Sexual Offences.
We have a proven track record of successfully defending such allegations and can provide robust and comprehensive advice and guidance from the offset. We can represent you at the police station stage up to trial and ensure that your position is protected throughout.
Who Can I Contact? | Kangs Criminal Defence Team
Please feel free to contact our team through any of the following who will be happy to speak to you and guide you: